Do You Eat the Fondant or Peel it Off?

Reaction score
I know some people are divided on this. For me it could go either way. I try to roll my fondant out nice and thin when I'm covering a cake or cupcake so it doesn't interfere with the flavour too much, but I know other bakers who peel the fondant off before serving a slice of cake.

Personally if I've put the work into decorating a cake, I want to serve that cake looking it's best, but on the other hand a lot of people hate the taste and texture of fondant and making your guests peel away layers of your cake to eat it doesn't seem ideal either. There are certain cakes that I feel you just can't get to look right without using fondant though, so I don't want to forgo it completely.

I haven't come up with a solution to this yet, luckily my fondant work isn't quite ready to show the world!

Do you serve/eat fondant, or do you prefer to leave it off?

Reaction score
I serve it with it on - I think it's an aesthetic thing to me. Like you mentioned if you've spent a substantial chunk of time making a beautiful fondant icing just to peel it off before serving seems a little counter intuitive. In saying that though I also try and keep it thin so it's not too overwhelming for the people eating it!

Reaction score
If you take the time to decorate your cake with fondant, I think the most logical idea is to serve it with the thing on :p If you don't what is the point? I also try to make the layers as thin as possible, so people can eat the whole cake and don't start peeling off the fondant. That would mean to me my cake was a big disaster :(

Reaction score
If you take the time to decorate your cake with fondant, I think the most logical idea is to serve it with the thing on :p If you don't what is the point? I also try to make the layers as thin as possible, so people can eat the whole cake and don't start peeling off the fondant. That would mean to me my cake was a big disaster :(
You make a great point but I am sorry I must decline on the fondant. I never eat it but I don't often have it around. Even when people have bought me cake I only want the cake. I can't handle the sweet add ons. I am already too sweet for my own good. So Tre, I will have to hide and peel yours off...Sorry.

Reaction score
You make a great point but I am sorry I must decline on the fondant. I never eat it but I don't often have it around. Even when people have bought me cake I only want the cake. I can't handle the sweet add ons. I am already too sweet for my own good. So Tre, I will have to hide and peel yours off...Sorry.

Hehehe, but my fondant layer is so thin, you'd not even notice ;) I have eaten others with super thick layers and wow... it can ruin a cake completely. This kind of mistake is seeing in people who has just started using fondant... is not easy at all. I'm not a big fan of cake decorating for that reason, but I know some talented bakers who can do wonders.

Reaction score
Hehehe, but my fondant layer is so thin, you'd not even notice ;) I have eaten others with super thick layers and wow... it can ruin a cake completely. This kind of mistake is seeing in people who has just started using fondant... is not easy at all. I'm not a big fan of cake decorating for that reason, but I know some talented bakers who can do wonders.
I do admire the skill, but that's about it for me. You'd think as a child I might have loved it but not even then. I give you permission to have the occasional thin taste but a complete ban on anything too thick and sweet. Dr. Wynter's orders!!

Reaction score
I don't understand the need to peel it off. Why not simply cut the cake from around it as you eat the piece of cake? I've never had a cake with fondant, and wasn't aware that the tast of the fondant was unappealing. If that's the case, why hasn't someone invented a better tasting fondant, or, if it's necessary to peel off the 'topping', why not simply create a reusable cake topper that can be removed before serving? I guess I'll stick with my butter cream frosting after reading this. Some people I know don't like that either, and they just cut around it and eat the cake portion, so I don't understand why the same can't be done with the fondant.

Reaction score
I actually like to eat the fondant as part of the whole treat experience. I am one of those few people that like the taste of it as long as the layer is not too thick. I want the whole cake experience when I indulge in a piece.

Reaction score
I do admire the skill, but that's about it for me. You'd think as a child I might have loved it but not even then. I give you permission to have the occasional thin taste but a complete ban on anything too thick and sweet. Dr. Wynter's orders!!

Hahahaa, yeah! I'm insulin resistant (not because of my age or eating habits, but because of my PCOS caused it). So in the last year overly sweet things kinda disgust me for some reason :/ I used to love super sweet things, like eating a slice of pie and wash it down with some super sweet chocolate milk xD Now that mere thought makes me feel a bit nauseous, lol.

Reaction score
I keep it on when serving but for me personally when it comes to eating the cake i'll eat a little bit of the fondant and peel off the rest. I find fondant to be too sweet

Ask a Question