Do You Ever Bake Things Out Of Season?

Reaction score
Do you ever bake things that are out of season and usually reserved for holidays? It's hot today and my daughter's summer vacation starts in a week and I baked a pumpkin pie today because I had a craving for pumpkin pie.
I have also made eggnog when it's nowhere near Christmas. What about you guys?

Reaction score
I consider baking banana bread more of a fall or winter adventure, but I will also bake it during the spring and summer sometimes. I hate when food goes to waste so if I have left over bananas that are turning brown, I will bake them into bread or muffins.

Reaction score
Pumpkin pie is one of my favorite any time of the year pie. I know most people eat it only around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also like chocolate covered pretzels.

Reaction score
I love pumpkin pie, and I do make it outside of the fall season! Sometimes I bake pumpkin bread too. I made peppermint cookies the other day, I guess that could be considered christmas-y :p

Reaction score
I love pumpkin bread all year round! Really any kind of pumpkin, I wish all the seasonal pumpkin coffees at Starbuck's were out all year! I also love gingerbread cookies and will occasionally bake them out of season - even though I do end up getting in a "holiday" type mood! Oh and also, hot peppermint chocolate!

Reaction score
I made some sticky gingerbread cake the other day for no particular reason other than I fancied eating some :) It felt a bit festive because of all the spices, but still yummy.

Reaction score
I love pumpkin bread all year round! Really any kind of pumpkin, I wish all the seasonal pumpkin coffees at Starbuck's were out all year! I also love gingerbread cookies and will occasionally bake them out of season - even though I do end up getting in a "holiday" type mood! Oh and also, hot peppermint chocolate!

I love pumpkin flavored coffee too and gingerbread flavored coffee. I usually buy the bags of flavored ground coffee and stick them in the freezer so that I can have pumpkin pie flavored coffee in March. I might make peppermint bark this weekend, but there are no candy canes this time of year, so I'll have to use starlight mints.

Reaction score
I definitely do- traditionally Autumn related flavours are big favorites in my house year round, and I'll have a lot of different pumpkin flavoured treats regardless of the season.

Reaction score
I have on occasion, but I don't do it often. I would love to have pumpkin pie at other times of the year, but I honestly don't think about it. Maybe I'll do it sometime now that the idea is in my head. One of the biggest things that prevents me from doing that is that my mother was very strict about certain things being only for Christmas and that we would lose our appreciation if we did not have to wait until then to have it. I don't know that I agree with her on that.

Reaction score
Yep! I buy the canned pumpkin puree when it's on sale during the holidays and I make chocolate chip pumpkin bread during the off seasons. It's a good way to kinda re-live the fall without having to pay too much for it :)

Reaction score
Not really --- I mean, I never really had pumpkin pie (I'm not from the States), so the 'in-season' for me is to bake stuff with apples come autumn (when apples are plentiful and cheap), refreshing stuff in the summer and the like. I would not make gingerbread in August either. But I mostly like timeless baking recipes anyway!

Reaction score
I bake everything off season. It's more about what I want to eat. It could be the middle of winter and I'll bake a peach cobbler. The smell of hot peaches is what I love throughout my house.

Reaction score
I so it all the time, my family doesn't celebrate Christmas, but if I crave eggnog or vegan ''tamales'' I will have those ;) I don't care if its out of season, you gotta do what you gotta do when the cravings strike ;) Unless you have a really strong willpower, sadly I don't, so I end up giving in most of the times.

Reaction score
It seems we have a lot of pumpkin lovers on the site. I also love pumpkin, and would appreciate having more pumpkin products available year round. I don't have a lot of room here to store canned goods, so I don't often stock up on it in the Fall/Winter, so am not always able to make pumpkin pies during the off season, but if I have it here or come across it in the store, I definitely make a pie or pumpkin bread.

I get the odd craving for candy canes, as well, and of course those are unavailable other than the Christmas season. My mind turns to Christmas around June, so any time after that would be good for these things to start popping up in the stores. The pumpkin would be purchased by me year round if it were in the stores, because I get cravings for it a couple of months after Christmas/New years.

Reaction score
I bake shortbread cookies all year around, not just at Christmas. They're my husband's favorite. I always have tinned pumpkin in the house, but, unfortunately as himself doesn't like pumpkin pie, it's for adding to the dogs' food, a tablespoon a day to help with their digestion. Pie has to wait for company to come!

Reaction score
I am still in the learning phase so I'll bake anything whenever. I am usually just thrilled if it turns out well. I have this desire to make hot cross bun which you typically only see around Easter but I know I'll attempt it no matter the season.

Reaction score
Sometimes I will bake things out of season - it really depends if the craving hits me. I will say though, a lot of the time it can be tricky, because some of the seasonal things I make have ingredients that are specific to a certain time of year - and trying to obtain them out of season is either really difficult, really costly, or both!

Reaction score
mmmm Pie :)

I'm working on my baking skills and will do more this coming year,but it is like a Turkey,why wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas to cook one ? there great any time of year,other than being over a hot stove in the summer

Ask a Question