Do you ever skip the vanilla extract?

Reaction score
There have been times when I have omitted putting vanilla in recipes and have not noticed a difference. I'm wondering if the vanilla is really needed in most recipes? I know sometimes you can switch the vanilla with almond extract but what if you don't have either on hand?

Reaction score
I have never skipped the vanilla extract on any of my recipes or used the almond extract, so I don't know. But you say there was no difference in taste, then maybe it wouldn't matter if you didn't have any on hand to just skip it.

Reaction score
But the vanilla is the best part! If you really can't taste it, I suspect the problem is with the brand of vanilla you're using. Try one of the brands like Nielsen Massey... personally I like their vanilla bean paste best. I made some vanilla wafers with that once that had people literally drooling.

Reaction score
I love vanilla so I never skip it! I use vanilla bean paste which has a lovely flavour :)

Reaction score
Oh you'll notice the difference if it's real vanilla. I never ever skip it. Even in the days of extract or "flavoring". Vanilla is therapeutic for me.. best part of baking :)

Reaction score
I never skip the vanillia, I find it add that little exta something special. I don't skimp on the god stuff , I use only high
quality real vanilla extract, none of the imitation junk. It really makes a difference you can taste.

Reaction score
Generally no, but I would if I was cooking somewhere else and they only had the artificial stuff. Apparently, "artificial vanilla" sometimes comes from the anal glands of a beaver - no joke.

In terms of flavor alone, I generally won't leave the vanilla out, since it has kind of a harmonious quality to it, bringing all the other flavors together. But I might add some other extracts in addition to it for some variety. I love the subtle smell of vanilla in foods. Especially in bourbons, since it really takes the bite off. It's also nice in Rum - I believe 10 Cane brand rum uses it in it quite noticeably.

Reaction score
You should be able to tell the difference if there is vanilla extract added or not. I think it may be the type you are using and how much.

Reaction score
I always put in the vanilla extract as you really can taste the difference. Try buying some good "real" vanilla and you will never go back to the cheap versions again. It just makes baked goods pop!

Reaction score
Unless I'm making something with fruit juice or coffee or tea in it, I never skip the vanilla extract in my baked goods. I love the flavor. I use real vanilla extract and never the imitation stuff which has an aftertaste my mom and I don't like. I've never tried vanilla bean paste. Is it expensive?

Reaction score
I skipped using vanilla once in my cookie recipe because I didn't have any on hand. I noticed a big difference in the quality and taste. My cookies literally crumbled when picked up.

hhh

Reaction score
I do skip it often (don't hurt me haha), I think you're right, and it really doesn't change the recipe or make it taste better. But I guess it tastes better with more quantity, rather than just 2 teaspoon.

Reaction score
Yep, I sure do!

Yes, it makes a difference in some recipes, especially if you're using real vanilla instead of vanilla extract.

But sometimes....like with a basic chocolate chip cookies or something that already has other 'extras' like M&Ms, etc, the vanilla doesn't make much difference.

Kas

Reaction score
I never skip vanilla. I think it really adds to the taste. I am in the minority, I guess, but I really don't mind the taste of the artificial vanilla. If it is what I can get at the time, I will take it. :) But another reason I suppose I never even thought of skipping on the vanilla is because that it gives me a chance to take a quick whiff of it. I think the scent is one of the best things in the world! I think it is Heavenly. :D

Reaction score
Never hurts to skip vanilla extract, it's just extra flavouring. I like to bake with it sometimes, but not often, just doesn't need it. I don't put it in my blondies, they are excellent without it.

Reaction score
Absolutely not! I love vanilla and usually add a little extra. However, I also really love substituting almond extract which has a much more obvious flavor.

Reaction score
I often skip the vanilla extract, you can taste the difference, but it's not that much difference, I only ever do it if I've ran out and don't want to go for a drive for one thing. I'll usually replace it with some cinnamon to give it a little kick.

Reaction score
I have skipped the vanilla extract on so many occasions; there are days when i run short on vanilla and i am certainly ain't going to allow that to stop me from baking, so what i do is add a little almond or cinnamon extract; it works for me.

Reaction score
Well I am not the veteran baker here but I am not about to go without my vanilla extract. Truth of the matter is I even add vanilla extract when it is not called for. I use it even when I am baking my box cakes. Even though I was not baking often before I joined this forum, the one thing I knew was in the cupboard was the said vanilla extract.

Reaction score
i skipped it ones by accident, it did taste a bit different to me so i made another with the vanilla and these cakes were bit thin so i made a sandwhich cake out of them with cream and strawberry jam in the middle.

Ask a Question