Do you freeze your cookie dough?

Reaction score
I've been off of cookies for a little while now. A few missteps put me in reverse mode. However, I stumbled on an article that suggested that most cookie dough can be stored up to three months before baking. I've always been interested in knowing what recipes can be prepared ahead of time so I was happy to find this article. Have you ever frozen your cookie dough?

Reaction score
When I've made larger batches than the amount I've needed to bake, then I've frozen it and never seemed to have an issue once it was thawed out and re-baked. I generally used it within a month of freezing it though. Good to know though that it can be stored for up to three months -- makes things a lot more convenient when you can just have it pre-made, in the freezer ready to go! :)

Reaction score
I have frozen my cookie dough in the past and had mixed results. Recipes that are high in butter freeze and bake up just fine but recipes without a high fat content seem to bake up a bit to brittle after freezing. It's a great solution to wanting fresh homemade cookie when you want them but I don't recommend it for some of my favorite Italian cookies that start out a bit drier.

Reaction score
In my reading it suggested that you have to be very careful how you store them. All the air should be out of the freezer bags etc. I also read elsewhere that it's not ideal for liquidy batter or thin cookies like 'tuiles, florentines and pizzelles" none of which I know. Because I have had some issues with cookies generally, I might not rush to try this but under normal circumstances I am happy for anything that makes the process quick.

Reaction score
Freezing cookie dough is awesome. It's so nice to be able to make up a huge batch and then know you have some on hand if ever you need. I personally like the process of cookie, especially with my daughter, but every now and then you just want some no fuss cookies :) I also have a guilty habit of nibbling on frozen cookie dough yum... I don't like eating any batter when I'm cooking because I'm a bacteria-a-phobe, but the freezer kills all the bad stuff so you can enjoy worry free.

Reaction score
I have successfully frozen unbaked drop cookies, sugar cookie type cutouts and what I would call "shaped" cookies, where you roll the dough into uniform balls, sometimes the dough is being rolled around something like a Hershey's Kiss or Rolo, etc. or it might just be plain dough that is rolled into ball then rolled in powdered sugar or just plain sugar.

All my recipes have a high fat content so that must be part of why it works! :D

I flash freeze them on wax paper lined cookie sheets before transferring to ziplock freezer bags - squeezing out as much air as possible. I bake from frozen, doing a test cookie first to get the timing right - usually have to add 1 or 2 minutes to baking time.

Dough keeps 3-5 months in the deep freeze just fine. I try to use up around the 3 month mark though.

Reaction score
I make huge batches all the time to freeze. I portion out the dough and freeze the balls on sheet pans. After they are hard I vacuum seal them in batches of 12 and drop in the deep freeze.

Reaction score
So I am assuming this is regular cookie dough with egg and no preservatives. Once vacuum packed will it last as long as three months?

Reaction score
I have read in an article that cookie dough can be freeze for 3 months but once I freeze it, I generally use it in 15 days or a month.

Ask a Question