Do you get " dressed up" to bake?

Reaction score
I was thinking about taking a day off from work to bake and thought how neat it would be to get all dressed up and look like a real baker. Truth be told I would have to run out and get a hat as I have never owned one. There are aprons around and hopefully still intact.

Do any of you here get dressed up in your apron and hat when baking? I personally would hate to get dressed up and then my cakes "fall down". :)

Reaction score
Sometimes dressing the part helps you feel a little more official though, maybe? I must confess I've never worn the baking hat and I myself would have to go out and buy one, but I do like to throw on an apron every now and then. My boys know it's "serious cooking" time if the apron comes out ;).

Reaction score
Winterybella, no offense but aren't you a big fan of using boxed cake mixes? I'm not sure that you need a baker's hat to add two eggs to a box of cake mix.
I don't wear a chef's toque when I add a pound of hamburger to a package of Taco Bell taco seasoning.

I mean this in the nicest, friendliest way possible. I just don't think you need a special costume since you enjoy the convenience of baking mixes and don't really get dirty in the kitchen. I sometimes use baking mixes when I don't feel like baking from scratch, but I just wear my normal clothing.

Reaction score
Winterybella, no offense but aren't you a big fan of using boxed cake mixes? I'm not sure that you need a baker's hat to add two eggs to a box of cake mix.
I don't wear a chef's toque when I add a pound of hamburger to a package of Taco Bell taco seasoning.

I mean this in the nicest, friendliest way possible. I just don't think you need a special costume since you enjoy the convenience of baking mixes and don't really get dirty in the kitchen. I sometimes use baking mixes when I don't feel like baking from scratch, but I just wear my normal clothing.

:):)No offense taken. I actually cracked up laughing at your kind suggestions. Clearly you haven't heard. I intend to graduate from the box to doing some "from scratch" cakes. I actually started to do some shopping and if I am going to be baking, I will consider wearing an apron.

About the chef's toque (thanks for the correct name) that might be a bit extreme, but the more I think about it the more inviting the idea seems. I might not be a veteran baker, but my cooking makes up for that and I am sure the family would be quite entertained by the it.

I believe in humor in and out of the kitchen. It adds flavor to every meal including a pound of hamburger.;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always wear my apron, nor just for baking but anything in kitchen, cooking washing dishes etc even been know to then sit to eat with it still on lol

Can I just say I didn't get what the OP meant I was thinking hhmmm dressing up for baking sounds a bit naughty to me hehehe

Reaction score
I always wear my apron, nor just for baking but anything in kitchen, cooking washing dishes etc even been know to then sit to eat with it still on lol

Can I just say I didn't get what the OP meant I was thinking hhmmm dressing up for baking sounds a bit naughty to me hehehe

The OP was quite deliberate. I knew it might be misleading, not so much naughty:). I wanted to put a different face on the apron. I know they are a lot of people out there with aprons who are not using them, myself included.

Once I start again and I will, it's going to be a "dress up" up affair. My next post will be less "provocative".;)

Reaction score
I don't like aprons or anything that restricts me when I am baking. I do like space and no one to be around as I am usually doing several things at a time. I find it's my private time to create things.

Reaction score
I don't like aprons or anything that restricts me when I am baking. I do like space and no one to be around as I am usually doing several things at a time. I find it's my private time to create things.

You find the apron restrictive? I am yet to try mine again after many years. I know I can get very wet around the waist when cooking. I actually think I am going to do the apron if I am trying something complicated some time in the further. Right now I am mostly playing around with the box cakes.

Reaction score
At times i'll put an apron on and that's not very often but i honestly can't say i really get all dressed up to bake...those were the days when i was in my teen years.

Reaction score
At times i'll put an apron on and that's not very often but i honestly can't say i really get all dressed up to bake...those were the days when i was in my teen years.

Kammy you are right. I definitely remember having some teen days of the apron. I was just getting into cooking in a serious way if you can call it that. I felt like I needed to look the part. As I progressed and my skills improved an apron was not a necessary thing in my opinion. That said, I am still going to get "dressed up" some time soon again.

Reaction score
Kammy you are right. I definitely remember having some teen days of the apron. I was just getting into cooking in a serious way if you can call it that. I felt like I needed to look the part. As I progressed and my skills improved an apron was not a necessary thing in my opinion. That said, I am still going to get "dressed up" some time soon again.

I know exactly what you mean..it's like we're off the same same block however as the festive season nears and my daughter will be home from boarding school and don't think it will hurt if i dress up a little and have some fun with her in the kitchen.

Reaction score
I am reading this post all over again and I am thinking this might be my way to finally get my son to help out in the kitchen. I am sure he'll find the apron dress up quite funny. He's such a comedian he might actually want to jump on board once comedy is on the menu.

Kammy, if I had a daughter I am sure we would make it fun thing.

Reaction score
I am reading this post all over again and I am thinking this might be my way to finally get my son to help out in the kitchen. I am sure he'll find the apron dress up quite funny. He's such a comedian he might actually want to jump on board once comedy is on the menu.

Kammy, if I had a daughter I am sure we would make it fun thing.

You can definitely have a joy ride in the with your son...it's all about you being innovative and creative to bring out the silly in him...while at it you can just chit- chat to find out what's happening in his life.

Reaction score
It's been a while since I dropped in here. I went digging up for my aprons and I found them. One looked a little "battered" but I rinsed them all out and this weekend I intend to get dressed up to do some baking. I hope I don't dress up and then my cakes "fall" down:). Wish me well.

Reaction score
Nah, not at all. I never wear an apron or anything like that when I am going to bake or cook, I just wear my regular clothes and so far i haven't had any kind of accidents or issues. I think dressing up for baking is nice if you are not cooking alone though.

Reaction score
I must admit if I am entering my kitchen I will get and wear my apron before I start anything what I will I do in the kitchen either cooking or baking. But I just wear my comfortable clothes at home together with my apron.

Reaction score
The closest I get to dressing up is just an apron, but I do have a few cute aprons! I find that when I have a cute apron on it gets me more into that baking/cooking mood though!

Reaction score
I did it recently and I was smiling away at my wardrobe. I knew I was just doing to say I have. Since that time I have not gotten dressed up. One day I think I will buy a chef's hat for the fun of it and provide some entertainment for the household.

Reaction score
I don't bother. I know I'm not a "real" baker and never will be. I just wear whatever I'm wearing that I don't mind getting a little flour on, since that's likely to happen if I'm doing much baking at once. I never seem to bother getting out aprons though, even though j do have them.

Ask a Question