Are You Baking Gluten-Free Due to Intolerance?

Reaction score
Just wondering, since this section grew a lot, like the gluten-free trend. Do you guys bake gluten free because you or someone you know have any sort of intolerance? Or do you have other motivations?

Reaction score
That is a good question!!! I don't bake gluten-free stuff, but I've been seriously pondering if I should, given the fact I seem to have some issues with bread in general. I haven't gotten a diagnosis, but I'm suspicious I might suffer from celiac's. I do know people who suffer from it, I have a lot of their symptoms... A gluten-free diet sounds too tough for me though :( I don't understand those who go gluten-free without even suffering from celiac's. I have read those who do tolerate gluten don't benefit at all from a gluten-free diet...

Reaction score
Gluten sensitivity or intolerance is not the same as celiac. I have sensitivity. If I eat a small amount of white bread or home mad whole wheat, I'll be fine, but if I eat it every day or more than once in a day I start getting gassy and digestive issues. I can not eat store bought whole wheat as it has added gluten and makes the grassiness kick in by the end of the meal.

Reaction score
One of my friend has a serious intolerance; the kind that, if you use the same butter as him and leave a crumb of your bread, he'll go and puke. It is probably worth it to cut aliments out of your diet, which you suspect to cause discomfort or problems. And a person does probably not need as many carbs as we consume!

But without an intolerance, I really don't think it's worth it. I did see a fun black bean brownie recipes (no-gluten!), though!

Reaction score
Gluten sensitivity or intolerance is not the same as celiac. I have sensitivity. If I eat a small amount of white bread or home mad whole wheat, I'll be fine, but if I eat it every day or more than once in a day I start getting gassy and digestive issues. I can not eat store bought whole wheat as it has added gluten and makes the grassiness kick in by the end of the meal.

When they talk about gluten-free diets they mostly refer to people with celiac's. When you do have celiac's consuming foods with gluten in it can actually damage the small intestine lining... hence most celiac's follow a gluten-free diet. It's an inherited autoimmune disease. There are mild and severe cases as with everything... I don't get those who do follow a 100% gluten free diet just because... I just don't! That kind of diet tends to lack so much fiber...

Reaction score
One of my friend has a serious intolerance; the kind that, if you use the same butter as him and leave a crumb of your bread, he'll go and puke. It is probably worth it to cut aliments out of your diet, which you suspect to cause discomfort or problems. And a person does probably not need as many carbs as we consume!

But without an intolerance, I really don't think it's worth it. I did see a fun black bean brownie recipes (no-gluten!), though!

I know right? Not worth at all if you don't suffer from gluten intolerance or celiac. I just don't get those who don't suffer from any of those and still decide to go gluten-free. I just can't! Gluten is in almost everything. I'll not follow a gluten-free diet unless I get a diagnosis. I might actually ask my doctor to consider celiac as the reason of my ailments (including joints pain).

Reaction score
I know right? Not worth at all if you don't suffer from gluten intolerance or celiac. I just don't get those who don't suffer from any of those and still decide to go gluten-free. I just can't! Gluten is in almost everything. I'll not follow a gluten-free diet unless I get a diagnosis. I might actually ask my doctor to consider celiac as the reason of my ailments (including joints pain).

I'm always a bit surprised when people want to cut out the delicious foods that have gluten. There are alternatives, sure, but more crumbly, crummy, stupid texture and more expensive... I really don't get the power of this fad. Why have not more people jumped on the vegetarian train, then? It would probably be less painful, less expensive, and actually has the potential to be more "healthy". Boggles the mind.

Reaction score
Actually, switching to gluten free grains has increased my fiber intake a lot. For a long time I was rarely eating whole wheat because it didn't taste good and was giving me gas, which I later discovered was because of gluten. Now I eat whole grains almost exclusively. Brown basmati rice is my top grain. I also eat a fair amount of whole kernel corn meal, usually as polenta, and quinoa. I use brown rice flour rather than white rice.

Reaction score
I'm always a bit surprised when people want to cut out the delicious foods that have gluten. There are alternatives, sure, but more crumbly, crummy, stupid texture and more expensive... I really don't get the power of this fad. Why have not more people jumped on the vegetarian train, then? It would probably be less painful, less expensive, and actually has the potential to be more "healthy". Boggles the mind.

Yeah, I have actually thought of going vegetarian in the past, I don't really enjoy the taste of meat anymore. Sadly my SO LOVES meat, grew up eating it almost daily... kinda gross if you ask me! I stayed at his parents house for a few weeks a while ago, they ate meat on a daily basis... I was grossed out after 2 weeks. I guess people are willing to give up gluten, but not meat o_O

Reaction score
Yeah, I have actually thought of going vegetarian in the past, I don't really enjoy the taste of meat anymore. Sadly my SO LOVES meat, grew up eating it almost daily... kinda gross if you ask me! I stayed at his parents house for a few weeks a while ago, they ate meat on a daily basis... I was grossed out after 2 weeks. I guess people are willing to give up gluten, but not meat o_O

The funny thing is, I used to be a kid who thought that if a dish had no meat, it was not a real complete dish. I hated beans, lentils, a lot of veggies, up to just maybe 5 years ago, or even later! I would have been miserable with a vegetarian diet back then. And over the last few years, I tried different simple and elaborate veg options and liked it enough that I thought I'd try it at least a month. Two weeks in, I'm amazed by how easy it is, and how much cheaper, and the super cool thing is I have less belly pains. Probably that to cut out meat forced me to rearrange the proportions of my plate and now I eat tons of good things instead of a glorious piece of meat and some sidedishes to it. It's the culture, y'know. If you're raised to see meat as the centre of the plate...

On the other side, I kind of feel bad for the veg*ans who have gluten intolerance. Must be hard.

Reaction score
Actually, switching to gluten free grains has increased my fiber intake a lot. For a long time I was rarely eating whole wheat because it didn't taste good and was giving me gas, which I later discovered was because of gluten. Now I eat whole grains almost exclusively. Brown basmati rice is my top grain. I also eat a fair amount of whole kernel corn meal, usually as polenta, and quinoa. I use brown rice flour rather than white rice.

Well, that's pretty cool! I think though that even before the gluten fad, people did encourage a diet with less refined starch/sugar/wheat and more brown rice and whole grains. More nutrition, less sugar and all.

But I really think whole wheat pasta is just not the same nice and smooth as regular one. *sigh*

Reaction score
I hear ya! Meat was important in my household, but nothing like my SO's home. I was actually looking forward to salads! I have been thinking of going vegetarian too. I already cook vegetarian things, but I know that if I decide to completely drop the meat I will get a lot protests, lol.

And yes, a meat-free diet is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. There are weeks in which we don't eat meat at all and we see a difference. I see a difference also in terms of joint pain! It is amazing... Plus think of all the awful hormones and antibiotics they give to cows!

Reaction score
I hear ya! Meat was important in my household, but nothing like my SO's home. I was actually looking forward to salads! I have been thinking of going vegetarian too. I already cook vegetarian things, but I know that if I decide to completely drop the meat I will get a lot protests, lol.

And yes, a meat-free diet is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. There are weeks in which we don't eat meat at all and we see a difference. I see a difference also in terms of joint pain! It is amazing... Plus think of all the awful hormones and antibiotics they give to cows!

Ah, I never really ate too much beef since I don't live at my parent'splace anymore -- usually was buying chicken thighs or pork chops/loin/ground meat, since it was cheaper and all. But yeah, I know that at my family's in Reunion Island's homes, I love the food a lot, but darn! The amount of veggies and fruits to it is minimal! Even back when I did not like veggies as much as I do now, the difference was so hard on my body, I felt it craving after nutrients and all. XD

On the other side, I'm also suprised on my dad's side of the family when they have dessert after every meal. As love as I love baking, I'm just not used to having baked stuff that often. O__o

Ask a Question