Do you like bread pudding?

Reaction score
My mother used to make bread pudding when I was little. She always said it was a secret recipe. I loved it, although I could take it or leave it if anyone else made (besides my mom and her mother). I haven't tried making any, but I saw a recipe the other day that got me thinking about. It was for bread and butter pudding.

Then, I thought about my mom making bread pudding and figured out the secret. She used day old sweet rolls from the bakery instead of actual bread. I remember watching her. No wonder hers was so good.

Do you like bread pudding? How do you make yours?

Reaction score
I actually don't like it! But, the rest of my family loves it! I've never tried to make it but there is a local restaurant that makes it so when we got there they get it. I'm not a huge bread eater anyway so maybe that is why I don't like it! That and I would rather have chocolate if I'm going to have a sweet! LOL ;)

Reaction score
I love bread pudding. My dad was the one who would make it when I was young, and I always enjoyed his cooking, especially since we tended to share the same tastes for the most part. I don't make it often, but I always enjoy it when I do, and I sometimes get it for dessert if I'm at a restaurant that serves it, although those are rare.

Reaction score
Much to my surprise I have a friend who makes it and while I stayed away from it for a very long time I thoroughly enjoyed it once I tried it. I have never made it myself but sometimes I want to call and ask her when next she is making it. She would love that as she really likes to think she is the best in the kitchen.

Reaction score
I haven't had it in quite a while. We used to have it as kids, too - I think when you're feeding a family and have leftover bread going stale it's a good way to use it up. But I honestly can't recall the last time I would have made it as an adult. A bit like Chester said - I like it, but not enough for it to be a favorite - I usually gravitate towards other things first!

Reaction score
When we had no oven yet, my husband would make pudding and bake it in the turbo broiler. The main ingredient is the leftover bread from breakfast. He collects the leftover bread and when the number is enough, he would call everyone in the house to help him tear the bread into pieces, into the smallest bit we can. From what I remember, the mixture is condensed milk with egg and sugar plus flavoring of usually raisins although sometimes he adds cheese or any other available fruit. One time he added fresh grapes, the small variety that has a bit of sour taste which blended very well with the sweet pudding.

It's been a long since we last made pudding. Maybe this thread is a reminder for that.

Reaction score
I actually don't like it! But, the rest of my family loves it! I've never tried to make it but there is a local restaurant that makes it so when we got there they get it. I'm not a huge bread eater anyway so maybe that is why I don't like it! That and I would rather have chocolate if I'm going to have a sweet! LOL ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't really call it my favorite either. I just liked my mom's version. I guess it's one of those comfort food things, but I'm with you. Chocolate is one of my favorite things when it comes to sweets. Good chocolate. Real cocoa.

Reaction score
I'll be going shopping in a few days, and I think I'm going to actually purchase extra bread, so I'll have some leftovers for a batch of bread pudding. It's been a long time since I've had it, and the rice pudding is almost gone, so it's time to make another dessert.

Reaction score
You know in all of my years of being a little bit of a sweet tooth, and also being what I consider pretty open minded in trying a lot of things, I have never tried bread pudding. In my defense, it is not something that you get a lot around here, but it is still available and I would have thought by now I would have tried it, but not yet. I will have to make it a point to get out there and try it now though, so thanks for inspiring me.

Reaction score
I love bread puddings. In our place, bakers make bread puddings by combining unsold bread from the previous day. The result is often a new bread with inconsistent softness. They are not that sweet and they are gentle to the bite. Eating two or three pieces are enough to fill me up because bread puddings are solid bread with no fluff in them.

Reaction score
I definitely think of heavier dishes more in the fall and winter, and since the temperatures will be cooling off soon, I will have to go through my recipes. I've seen some that included a bit of brandy or other liquor/liqueur, and that might be a nice idea for the holiday season, which will be here before we know it.

Ask a Question