Do you like your cornbread/cake salty or sweet?

Reaction score
I recently came across a cornbread 'cake' recipe. It reminded me that in the North of the U.S. where I am from, we tend to make our corn bread with dinner sweeter than those recipe's down south. My friend who comes from Georgia always makes hers without sugar. What about you? How do you prefer your cornbread? And have you ever made it into a cake?

Reaction score
Mine is without sugar and yes, I'm from the south :) My grandma used to make it like that, its supposed to be a salty treat where I come from, there is even a spicy version with jalapeños! I have never tried the sweet version, but would love to :) Sounds like something kinda daring to me, lol.

Reaction score
Ps... I will surely share that recipe on here later. It's soooooo yummy! I'm sure you guys will like it, even if you are used to the sweet version. Btw, isn't as spicy as you might think!

Reaction score
Ps... I will surely share that recipe on here later. It's soooooo yummy! I'm sure you guys will like it, even if you are used to the sweet version. Btw, isn't as spicy as you might think!

Thanks! I can't wait to try it. Here is the cornbread recipe with sugar I have used for years:
1 C. Flour
1C. Yellow, white, or blue cornmeal
1 T. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
2 Eggs
1 C. Milk
1/4 C. cooking oil or shortening, melted
Turn oven on to 425. Mix ingredients adding flour last. Stir till batter is just smooth. Pour into greased 9x9x2 inch pan and bake for 20 to 25 min. It makes 8 or 9 servings. We must have eaten this growing up at least once a week. Either that or we used a mix called, 'Jiffy' which comes from the state of Michigan. It also has sugar in it. And when we had cornbread, there was always a bottle of honey to drizzle on it.

Reaction score
I like it salty and sweet...the best ones I've had have been a good balance of both. Or just make it more on the salty side and then put some honey on top of it =).

Reaction score
Mmmm that's hard. I think I like it salty better but all the ones I've had so far are a bit sweet and is only made salty through butter. The ones I've had though weren't like SUPER sweet or anything, but I wonder what a full salty one would taste like in comparison to the regular sweet ones I've had.

Reaction score
The salty sweet one I tried was my sweet recipe (above) and you add jalapeno peppers, corn and Jack Cheese. You are all right - it is delicious!

Reaction score
Thanks! I can't wait to try it. Here is the cornbread recipe with sugar I have used for years:
1 C. Flour
1C. Yellow, white, or blue cornmeal
1 T. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
2 Eggs
1 C. Milk
1/4 C. cooking oil or shortening, melted
Turn oven on to 425. Mix ingredients adding flour last. Stir till batter is just smooth. Pour into greased 9x9x2 inch pan and bake for 20 to 25 min. It makes 8 or 9 servings. We must have eaten this growing up at least once a week. Either that or we used a mix called, 'Jiffy' which comes from the state of Michigan. It also has sugar in it. And when we had cornbread, there was always a bottle of honey to drizzle on it.

Awesome! It sounds easy enough and not many ingredients, if something I dislike is when a comfort meal has a lot ingredients :) That's not comforting at all, lol! Thank you, I'll try it soon! I'll post here the recipe of that ''special'' cornbread soon :) Hope you try it, it's delicious!

Reaction score
I recently came across a cornbread 'cake' recipe. It reminded me that in the North of the U.S. where I am from, we tend to make our corn bread with dinner sweeter than those recipe's down south. My friend who comes from Georgia always makes hers without sugar. What about you? How do you prefer your cornbread? And have you ever made it into a cake?
I have had cornbread both ways but my family likes it sweet. I even put a little extra sugar in it when I'm baking it from scratch at home. The other thing we love is cinnamon honey butter on it when it's warm fight from the oven! So yummy!! Butter, cinnamon and a little honey mixed together... so good!!!

Now I will be craving corn bread all day... yumm!!

Danyel :)

Ask a Question