Do You Make Children Bake "Healthy"?

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this one. I feel like if I want to make them love baking, they should be able to make those treats that they love most! I know this is what I loved about baking and what other kids I know enjoy most. However, I can imagine the kids I watch over scrunching up their nose at granola stuff, or other things that look "too healthy" -- replacing chocolate chips by raisins etc.

If you in general bake healthy -- do you make sometimes exceptions for the kids? Or is it just something they have to get used to so that they can later on enjoy it?

Reaction score
I usually do not bake healthy because I figure if I am going to bake then I should enjoy doing it. Baking is one of those things I do for the fun of it and I usually do not count calories or substitute for healthier things when I am making baked goods, it kind of takes the fun out of the process for me.

Reaction score
I like to bake healthy things most of the times, but sometimes I like to indulge a bit. I'm really aware about how bad processed foods are, specially cookies and cakes, but from time to time I say... what the heck! I believe everything in moderation works, same for kids eating this kind of things. I love baking nice things for my nieces, but also baking healthy things is a good choice... like for example organic cakes and cookies.

Reaction score
Baking is a treat those goodies shold be yummy. I do try to lighten up recipes by cutting out some of the fat and sugar. I use greek yougurt and apple sause when I and will sometimes cut down of the amout of sugar if possible. Since the little ones are not going to be loading up on baked goods I don't think there is anything wong with eating a few rich treats.

Reaction score
Awesome! So you use apple sauce instead of sugar sometimes? I ream somewhere that works great to use less sugar in your homemade goods, but how do you know how much of it you should be using, so you don't end up messing up things? I'm afraid to try because I'm afraid to use to much and end up messing things up!

Reaction score
I think i'm with Tina on this one. Since baking is not something I do everyday, I believe the sugar and calories in this one seating per week shouldn't quite be the life changer. It is nice to have that one thing that you can indulge in after the toil, without thinking of how many kilos you're piling up. However when done more often, then it is important to incorporate some healthy tips I believe. The children should learn this as well.

Reaction score
Because baking so often is new to me, I just want to try something new nearly week and make it fun. If I had small kids around I'd make sure we did some of everything. I worry that healthy has taken the fun out of everything: baking, cooking, everything.

Ask a Question