Essential Baking Equipment for Beginners

Reaction score
In the old days you didn't have all these tools to make baking a easy process. Do you guys need equipment in order to bake? If so, then what do you need and why do you need it?

Reaction score
I bake the old fashioned way. I've never been one to buy the latest gadgets, especially for this purpose. It's a labour of love! lol.. I feel so much more accomplished when I bake from scratch with my own two hands. Nothing wrong with the other ways.. I can see how people want to save the time and their wrists etc lol, but I will always bake the way Grandma taught me, until I can't, then I'll buy the biggest and best lol.

Reaction score
I love to buy cooking and baking gadgets, but this does not mean that I dislike to bake from scratch.

In fact I enjoy it and, unless I'm baking for the masses, I do by hand most of the process because I usually bake for one or two people when at my own home, as opposed to when we meet with my family or have planned a friends reunion where baking gadgets are mostly huge time savers making and effortless process.

Reaction score
My grandparents had a Kitchenaid mixer as well as an assortment of various hand tools for things like cutting home made ravioli with wavy edges, cookie presses and such. They were very much into growing their own gardens and canning their own food, they also made their own wine, and lived very modestly overall. But as my grandmother got older, it was a lot harder for her to make some of those things by hand, so the mixer was a huge help.

I don't mind doing most of the stuff by hand or with only basic equipment, but there are a few things I absolutely stink at doing by hand - such as whipping egg whites in bowl by hand. I can't do it for some reason, I just cant move my arm repeatedly fast enough for it. I also usually make a complete mess when I try to knead something. No matter how careful I am and how much I flour the boards, it sticks to everything as well as my hands.

Reaction score
I do not need a lot of equipment to bake. I use a mixer for baking. A mixer makes baking more easy and fun. It mixes and blends all the ingredients really well. I use basic equipment such as measuring cups, flour sifter and spoons also. I would like to try different equipment to see how they work.

Reaction score
I'm also a big believer in cooking and baking from scratch and doing everything by hand. A mixer is the only piece of equipment I use. Other than that, I use mixing bowls, wooden spoons, measuring spoons, measuring cups and cookie sheets. I may be old fashioned but the less gadgets I use, the better my baked goods turn out.

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I love my stand mixer, but I do love to bake the old fashioned way too. I have old metal measuring cups and wooden spoons that I have to search for in a messy drawer. I have old cookie sheets that I believe were handed down to my mother from her mother.

Reaction score
You do not need a lot of equipment to bake. The kitchen gadgets for modern consumers are more about convenience than anything else. Here's a basic list of what your great grandma probably had in her kitchen:

Whisk
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Glass measuring cup
Mixing Bowl
Hand Mixer
Baking pans (square, round, bundt)

You can obtain all of these items at our local grocer (Safeway) or discount store.

Ask a Question