Do you prefer baking with a metal or glass pan?

Do you prefer baking with a metal or glass pan?

• Total voters
Reaction score
In general, I bake with a metal pan. To me, it's just easier to manipulate. Glass (the stuff I buy) tends to be heavier and more fragile. The only foods I enjoy baking in a glass pan are meats.

Which do you prefer? Metal? Glass?

Reaction score
For cakes, cookies, and bread, I prefer to use a non-stick metal pan.

When I bake casseroles, like squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, or something like Shepherd's Pie, I preferred the glass pan.

Reaction score
In general, I bake with a metal pan. To me, it's just easier to manipulate. Glass (the stuff I buy) tends to be heavier and more fragile. The only foods I enjoy baking in a glass pan are meats.

Which do you prefer? Metal? Glass?

I prefer the metal pan. I also think it's easier to use. A metal pan is also sturdier than a glass pan, which can be fragile. I find it's easier to clean metal pans than glass ones.

Reaction score
Is there a difference in baking times and/or temperatures?

We've switched to glass and stuff seems to burn on the bottom. I'm still adjusting to the difference in altitude of where I used to live. We used to live in a place ~3500 feet above sea level and had to turn the temperature down and bake for less time. Now at 0 feet we've been doing lots of trial and error. Mostly errors though, like burnt bottoms but undercooked middles on brownies.

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter to me, but I usually bake in a glass pan. My glass pans are better than my metal ones and I prefer them sometimes. I don't notice either one being any easier or convenient to use, for me.

Reaction score
I usually bake in metal pans. There's something about glass that creeps me out when baking bready type foods lol. I'm weird like that. I use the few glass dishes for casseroles or serving etc.

Reaction score
I use both depending on what I am making. My sheet pans are made of metal. I have glassware loaf pans, cake, and pie pans. I used to have some aluminum pans several years ago but I think I threw those away. I use the disposable aluminum foil pans sometimes when I am making something to take somewhere and I don't want to worry about bringing home a pan or plate.

While the glassware is more fragile, it does clean better with a little soaking. I have trouble keeping my metal pans looking nice. They get sticky and nasty after awhile and if you scrub too hard, it scratches them up and takes the coating off of them.

How about silicone pans or cookie sheets? Anyone try those yet?

Reaction score
I prefer glass pans because I can see how the food in them is coming along - such as if a cake is brown enough. Also they are more durable and hold up to scrubbing and cleaning, unlike metal pans which will become scratched, have the non stick chip off, and start to rust.

Plus with glass pans, you don't have to worry about affecting the taste of certain ingredients, such as cooking in aluminum when there is tomato sauce in the recipe.

Reaction score
I cook with metal and glass pans. I recently purchased glass pans from Walmart. I cook with the glass pans everyday. They are easy to clean. I soak them sometimes and they never rust. I bake cornbread and cakes in metal pans also.

Reaction score
There is always a little risk with glass pans too. I've broken several of them by putting them into the sink before they cooled all the way and they cracked. I had one break when I pulled if from the fridge and another I dropped with my butterfingers. It's a good idea to look them over well before using them too, to make sure there aren't any hairline cracks or chips.

Reaction score
I've had both and really haven't seen a difference in either of them... Is there really any?

Considering how small our kitchen is... basically NO room... I don't use anything glass anymore. I break it trying to find somewhere to sit it and if there's food in there, what a waste.

Reaction score
The oven where I live now, tends to hate metal pans. Every time I use something metal, I have to watch the oven like a hawk. I have even tried to change the oven temperature and cooking time. So, I voted for glass pans. For some strange reason, everything is fine when I use the glass pans.

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how temperamental ovens can be? Ours is so old that it doesn't have a window in it. I really hate not being able to peak without lowering the heat. There are even some recipes that tell you not to do open the oven but how can you peak if you don't have a window?

Reaction score
I do not have a preferance for the tryp of pan I bake in glass or metal will do. I would rather own metal pans because there have been far to manny kitchen accidents that have ruined nice glass baking dishes. Someone will drop it or walk by and know it of the stove or counter , you cannot break metal .

Reaction score
I see the advantages of glass pans but I still prefer metal because hot glass makes me uncomfortable and I've broken Pyrex before and cut myself.

Reaction score
I choose metal over glass but I really prefer the flexible pans overall. They tend to bake more evenly and are just so much easier to deal with. Glass pans are ideal for over meals that require a bigger pan.

Reaction score
I mostly bake with metal. However, I like baking with glass better. It's just a bit easier to me!

Reaction score
Somehow i prefer using metal pans when baking as it just easier to maneuver and with my kids constantly in and out of the kitchen i try to keep glasses at bay however when i am making lasagnas and casseroles is usually opt for glass.

Reaction score
Glass is fine for lasagna or in the microwave, but properly seasoned and cared for cast iron is the best. Don't forget to keep your "skillet good and greasy", as Uncle Dave Macon said. It should always have a layer of fresh oil of some sort on it. Bacon fat works fine.

Reaction score
I'd say overall I prefer glass pans...I just find them easier to work with, personally, and better as far as even heating goes. I'll use metal pans, but they're not my first choice.

Ask a Question