Do you prefer real butter or margarine?

Reaction score
Since I was a young girl, I was always taught to use real butter in baking recipes. All though it's not considered to be good for your health, real butter seems to improve the taste of baked goods. I use margarine for all other cooking projects.

What's your preference? Real Butter? Margarine?

Real-Butter.jpg

Reaction score
I prefer real butter for baking and some cooking. There are spreads out there that we have tried for every day use, but hard to find one that tastes good, and doesn't make your toast soggy

Reaction score
I will always choose butter.. margarine isn't food. Also, the beliefs people have when it comes to butter, fats, heart disease etc are old school and butter is actually quite awesome. Don't be afraid of fat.. just get to know which is good and which is bad. It's best if it's grass fed though.. but either way, no margarine for me.

Reaction score
I always use butter for all my cooking and baking. Growing up we always used margarine unless it was a holiday. :) but I have found that butter is so much more flavorful.

Reaction score
When you talk about real butter then I would assume you mean one that is organic and natural. There are several reports that talk about the unhealthiness of margarine. It is made cheaper as it contains transfat and other fatty oils that aren't good for you. Spring the extra buck and go for the good stuff.

Reaction score
I prefer real butter for baking. Margarine just doesn't taste as good as real butter. Some people think that margarine and artificial sweetener are healthier, but they have more chemicals, I'd rather take my chances with the natural stuff even if it is more fattening.

Reaction score
I prefer real butter for baking. Margarine just doesn't taste as good as real butter. Some people think that margarine and artificial sweetener are healthier, but they have more chemicals, I'd rather take my chances with the natural stuff even if it is more fattening.

Good fats, not fattening lol. Butter being fattening and bad for the heart is another government backed message. they've been touting horrible health advice forever and butter shouldn't be on the hit list at all. We actually need MORE healthy fats in our lives.. it's not a four letter word :)

Reaction score
I like butter better, and do not even buy margarine any more. Since butter is so expensive, I usually just use it sparingly for cooking, and keep it for eating on bread and potatoes and such. I sometimes use seasoned olive oil to dip my bread into, thus saving the butter, and it is also very heart healthy.
For cooking, I also use coconut oil, which is supposed to be much healthier even after being heated , than other oils are.

Reaction score
I try to use butter and not margarine. However, here lately I can not seem to find real butter. I guess it was used a lot in holiday cooking? My grandma made butter when I was a kid. It was sweet and by far the best thing I have ever tasted!

Reaction score
I am like most others who have already posted and love real butter for just about everything. Once I heard that margarine was only one chemical away from being plastic it turned me right off to the stuff. That could be an old wives tale about the margarine as I never researched it, but I know real butter comes from real dairy and that is enough for me. To me nothing can compare to the taste of real butter anyway. It gives corn, any baked goods, and all breads just a hint of sweet with it.

Reaction score
I honestly do not have a preference. They taste about the same to me. Am I the only one who feels that way?! Maybe so. But, I think they both work great. Although, if I absolutely had to decide, I would choose butter. I like that butter is more pure and is not pumped full of chemicals. However, I like that margarine is cheaper. Regardless, I do use both and like them both very much.

Reaction score
I only use butter. I'm not pumping myself with chemicals. Which is getting harder because more things are being ruined. A bit of fat is always better than chemicals in my opinion.

Reaction score
I would rather use butter, and I do try too but sometimes I just can't afford it. A lot of the time if I waited until I could afford butter for the recipe, I wouldn't be able to make it. But I do find butter tastes much better, and I try hard to stock up when it goes on sale.

Reaction score
I only use both in moderation, so I don't worry too much about the Margarine thing. If I want buttery taste in something without the butter getting all brown (and possibly burnt) I will go with Margarine. Also if I am cooking for vegans, I will use Margarine as well. Even sometimes when making omelettes I will go with Margarine so I don't brown them too much before the eggs set.

Reaction score
Real butter! I used to use margarine to save calories and fat. But, the ingredients in margarine are kind of scary since they aren't real! :0
I think the fats, etc in butter are better (haha) because they are natural and your body can absorb them. Its not like we are
eating a whole stick of butter at once! I think we have been done a disservice all these years hearing about how bad the "real" foods are
for us - so then we start eating the "fake" stuff and people get sick and "they" wonder why! :)
Sorry for the rant!

Reaction score
Real butter! I used to use margarine to save calories and fat. But, the ingredients in margarine are kind of scary since they aren't real! :0
I think the fats, etc in butter are better (haha) because they are natural and your body can absorb them. Its not like we are
eating a whole stick of butter at once! I think we have been done a disservice all these years hearing about how bad the "real" foods are
for us - so then we start eating the "fake" stuff and people get sick and "they" wonder why! :)
Sorry for the rant!

I agree with you 100%. It really urks me that people are so scared of real food because of horrible messages ingrained in us by big corps and government. Actual foods should not be scary and they don't make us sick. It would be really nice if people started trusting in what nature gave us.

Reaction score
I find this discussion really interesting, because I think that the majority of you is actually NOT using REAL butter.

I have a source for real butter, it is very expensive, made by some Amish farmers and sold in a specialty store 20 miles from where I live. Once in a while I am getting myself that luxury, but I can't afford it often. It is over $4 for a piece.

The national branded "Real Butter" pictured in the OP is not what it pretends to be. I once was involved in a study about this, and so I know it is "made with real butter". I have forgotten the percentage of how much butter actually must be in that product to be called "Real Butter". There is actually legal legislation about things like that!

Products do NOT need to be what the package is promising!

Example:

"pure olive oil" must legally contain 49% Olive Oil in the EU, but in the USA it only needs to have 25% olive oil. The rest oils they won't tell you! Obviously, the simpler buyer will go by the name and think "pure olive oil" is what it sounds like, but no, he is being fooled.

I came from Germany 10 years ago, I have all my life used butter to cook and bake, so I knew how butter reacts in use. For example, I know how butter looks like when melted.

When you take a stick of store-bought (regular) butter and melt that here, it will look and taste completely different. There is a lot of water and who knows what else in it.

So, this talk about "Real Butter" is a bot off the wind, because most of you will not likely have easy access to real (natural) butter.

Of course., margarine is a toxic product, but I tend to believe that this industrial butter is nothing else than a kind of margarine! What now?

Reaction score
I like to use real butter when baking.

I don't mind using margarine or a vegetable oil blend for cooking.

Reaction score
I find this discussion really interesting, because I think that the majority of you is actually NOT using REAL butter.

I have a source for real butter, it is very expensive, made by some Amish farmers and sold in a specialty store 20 miles from where I live. Once in a while I am getting myself that luxury, but I can't afford it often. It is over $4 for a piece.

The national branded "Real Butter" pictured in the OP is not what it pretends to be. I once was involved in a study about this, and so I know it is "made with real butter". I have forgotten the percentage of how much butter actually must be in that product to be called "Real Butter". There is actually legal legislation about things like that!

Products do NOT need to be what the package is promising!

Example:

"pure olive oil" must legally contain 49% Olive Oil in the EU, but in the USA it only needs to have 25% olive oil. The rest oils they won't tell you! Obviously, the simpler buyer will go by the name and think "pure olive oil" is what it sounds like, but no, he is being fooled.

I came from Germany 10 years ago, I have all my life used butter to cook and bake, so I knew how butter reacts in use. For example, I know how butter looks like when melted.

When you take a stick of store-bought (regular) butter and melt that here, it will look and taste completely different. There is a lot of water and who knows what else in it.

So, this talk about "Real Butter" is a bot off the wind, because most of you will not likely have easy access to real (natural) butter.

Of course., margarine is a toxic product, but I tend to believe that this industrial butter is nothing else than a kind of margarine! What now?

Very true. I don't trust much of anything from a grocery store and even if you are buying butter, you're likely buying something not quite as healthy as you think. Everyone should know their sources and how they work.. the industry as a whole is extremely shady. As for olive oil.. most of what people are buying is fake. There is a huge olive oil mafia out there lol.. seriously! It would serve everyone well to look up brands that have been tested.. otherwise, you're likely buying canola oil or something similar with flavour added. Important information for those using olive oil for health reasons. I was duped by a phony brand once upon a time too..

Last edited:

Ask a Question