Do you prefer single or double layers??

Reaction score
To me it doesn't matter either way because I'm still going to eat it! Single layer cakes are okay as far as looks go but I think double layers look so much better. I have baked both numerous times but still think the double layers look better but they all still taste good, regardless of the size!

Reaction score
I love the look of a double layer cake so if I am making it for a special occasion like a birthday or a baby shower or something, I will make a double layer. If I am just making something for dessert for my family I will make a single layer cake. It is more the presentation to me as far as a double layer or a single layer so if I want a lot of oohs and aahs when it is cut into I will always opt for the double.

Reaction score
I love double layers, but they're way more work if you want them to look good...or they are for me. I'm still mastering making them look good myself...I do better with cupcakes if I'm trying to make something pretty.

Reaction score
I'll eat either one, but I like layer cakes better because of the extra layer of filling or frosting in the middle. Plus, layer cakes are really pretty.
I think of sheet cakes as more of a casual snack cake. Even my daughter's school cafeteria sometimes serves a sheet cake. Layer cakes are more fancy.

Reaction score
Single layers are better for me, I feel like if I do go for the second piece it's not as many calories.
And if you make two layers you can frost them with different flavors. Two cakes in one.

Reaction score
I'll eat either one, but I like layer cakes better because of the extra layer of filling or frosting in the middle. Plus, layer cakes are really pretty.
I think of sheet cakes as more of a casual snack cake. Even my daughter's school cafeteria sometimes serves a sheet cake. Layer cakes are more fancy.

I tend to agree with the appearance. So for a single layer sheet cake, I don't tend to think of it as anything special.

Now a single layer cake that is still dressed up and looks cool, then I enjoy it just as much. I don't really care about the extra layer of frosting/filling, so it really comes down to appearance usually.

Reaction score
I tend to think like y'all. I think double layer cakes are for special occasions and single layer cakes are for everyday desserts. I love when a cake is decorated beautifully and I've been thinking about maybe trying* to decorate a single layer cake like I would a double layer cake. I usually make single layer cakes in a casserole dish but I'm thinking about getting a silicone sheet and trying my hand at it that way. I love decorating cakes. It's just so much fun!

Reaction score
Double layer cakes are about all I make. I love the frosting or filling in the middle. To make a double layer cake more uniform in size, cut off the bump that forms when it bakes and then flip the layers over when stacking so that the bottom of each piece is on top. This gives you the perfect shape cake each time!

Reaction score
I definitely love the double layered cakes, especially if it's with chocolate fillings. I like the extra delicious layers and how it just melts in my mouth! Yummy! Just the other day I was at an anniversary party and they served a double layered vanilla cake with strawberry fillings, the icing was amazing! Just thinking about it makes my mouth water, it was so good. Even though it wasn't chocolate, this cake was wonderful.

Reaction score
To me it doesn't matter either way because I'm still going to eat it! Single layer cakes are okay as far as looks go but I think double layers look so much better. I have baked both numerous times but still think the double layers look better but they all still taste good, regardless of the size!
I prefer double layers, three if I have the time. Lately though I've been making a lot of bundt cakes.

Reaction score
I'm definitely a double or triple layer person. I think that cakes are much moister with multiple layers.

Reaction score
Definitely double or triple. But when I buy cakes for myself, I always usually just go for the single layer. But when it comes to decoration and really just "savoring the moment", I prefer double-layered cakes.

Reaction score
I like everyone's opinion on this. For myself or for a simple occasion, I would that a simple layer would do just fine. That especially goes for last minute events. I mean, who really wants to spend time worrying about two layers? If I am somewhere, then I'd probably prefer for it the be double layered. It just looks nicer. Also, if it's for an event or occasion (That is not last minute) then I would hope to make it double layered, for the same reasons. The possibilities of two different (complimenting) cake flavors or icing flavors is endless!

Reaction score
I like a doube layer cake becasue you can put filling in the middle. this does not mean you have to have two singles cakes stacked on one another you can a single layer in half and put filling between the two halves.

Reaction score
I like a doube layer cake becasue you can put filling in the middle. this does not mean you have to have two singles cakes stacked on one another you can a single layer in half and put filling between the two halves.

I used to do that with a pound cake. I would split in half for form a double layer pound cake.

I prefer a double layer cake. It just looks fancy. It doesn't takes any better than a single layer cake, but I do believe that feelings affect my enjoyment of food.

Ask a Question