Do you spice up your homemade bread?

Reaction score
Hello, I am from Germany, where we traditionally put all sorts of stuff into the bread dough. Like caraway, or cumin, or other seeds.

I am living in the USA now for about 10 years, and since the US bread isn't edible for Germans (or Europeans in general), I am of course baking my own bread.

The reaction I am getting is strange. All like my breads, but when I say this is totally normal and not strange at all with the seeds in it, I am getting looks from Americans.

I am also trying out other add-ins, like olive cuts, or cheese pieces, or dried tomatoes. Great success, IF the bread comes up right. I am still working on that right recipe. If it gets too fatty, the yeast doesn't work right.

Now I am thinking about adding chili to a bread, Is that a good idea? Has anyone ever done that?

Reaction score
I have never added anything to bread, but I have heard of it and always wanted to try it. I would love for you to post a recipe for this because I would love to try it. I have never thought about adding chili to bread but it sounds really interesting and it could be a meal in itself. I am interested in adding cheeses or even experimenting with dessert type things or fruit.

Reaction score
Actually, there isn't really a specific recipe for adding caraway to your dough. That is why it is so easy, you just add a table spoon (or 2) of caraway to your ingredients. No need to adjust your ingredients of your recipe, because the other ingredients will not react.

This is different when you add cheese, because the cheese with its fats will react to the yeast and will weaken it. So, if adding cheese chunks, you must add less oil than normally.

But seeds like caraway are easy for starters, because there is no caution needed.

It helps with digestion, in case anybody wonders why one would want to eat that.

Reaction score
That's not strange at all! I wonder why you get looks for it lol. Although, I'm in Canada.. maybe it's just a less American thing to do? We have some pretty amazing bakeries in my home town and they carry all sorts of great breads with seeds etc. I don't do too much to my breads, I don't like the texture difference, so I'll mainly play with herbs and spices, but never seeds for me. Especially now that I'm eating gluten free and don't like bread anymore because of it lol. My mother adores it though.

Reaction score
I love nuts and seeds in breads ... no funny looks from this American!:D
I also like to spice up my breads with other ingredients and haven't found any issues with adding cheeses or other ingedients ... never thought of trying chili but seems you would need to adjust wet ingredients accordingly.
I use the artisan bread in 5 minutes a day cookbook a lot because the dough is quite forgiving and so easy to mix up that I can add most anything and be assured of a great result. Those that find kneading and shaping an essential part of bread baking won't be excited about using the method, but for those of us who like bread no matter how it's created, it's a wonderful resource!

Reaction score
I do not spice up my homemade breads. I like to try a variety of different breads. I haven't spiced my breads with seeds or spices. I plan to try the caraway seeds and cheese pieces. I love cheddar cheese.

Reaction score
Hello, I am from Germany, where we traditionally put all sorts of stuff into the bread dough. Like caraway, or cumin, or other seeds.

I am living in the USA now for about 10 years, and since the US bread isn't edible for Germans (or Europeans in general), I am of course baking my own bread.

The reaction I am getting is strange. All like my breads, but when I say this is totally normal and not strange at all with the seeds in it, I am getting looks from Americans.

I am also trying out other add-ins, like olive cuts, or cheese pieces, or dried tomatoes. Great success, IF the bread comes up right. I am still working on that right recipe. If it gets too fatty, the yeast doesn't work right.

Now I am thinking about adding chili to a bread, Is that a good idea? Has anyone ever done that?

I love throwing anything I can find into a loaf of bread and yes fresh chili works great, just don't give it to the kids.

I also like to use sultanas, sun-dried tomato and mixed spice. It does not sound like a good combination I know, but wait until you try it brochette style with finely chopped onions, tomato, mustard and olive oil.

Reaction score
hi Moonshine Sally,I was wondering about you user name,does the Moonshine part have anything to do with corn in a jar? :)

Reaction score
I only attempted bread once and it did not turn out the best way. At the time I wanted it to be a just a tad sweet so I think I added a littler sugar or something like that. I'd like to reach the stage where I can be so comfortable baking bread I'd spice it up whichever way I felt like at the time.

Reaction score
you can do it Bella :) I'm almost up to adding some onions to my loaf of bread,almost lol

Ask a Question