Do you still buy cakes as well as baking?

Reaction score
I love baking my own cakes and biscuits but I do still buy cakes when l'm in the supermarket, I try not to but I can't help it, does anyone else do this?

Reaction score
For special occasions and events , I will buy cakes. I prefer to let someone else do the highly skilled decorations and letter piping.

Reaction score
I love to cook and bake at home...BUT if I see something interesting I want to try, or replicate, of course I buy it and take it home. There is never a shortage of people who eat here, so my curiousity in buying these never ends up in waste.

Reaction score
I like to buy cakes as well as bake them because sometimes I don't feel like baking, so I will buy a cake if I am in the mood for one. I have cut down on cakes I buy and just bake because I am trying new recipes out.

Reaction score
I bought a nice cake for my daughter's sweet16. Other than that, I bake them myself. I can't stand to pay so much for something I can do myself!

Reaction score
I agree that it's best to make a cake instead of buying one. I haven't bought a cake in a very long time because of have decided to experiment with some new recipes and I also want to see if I can do a good job.

Reaction score
I am actually trying to live a little healthier and haven't been buying many baked goods. I prefer homemade versions because that way I know exactly what type of ingredients are going into them and I can cut back on the sugars if I'd like. :)

Reaction score
Sometimes I buy cake mixes, but I never actually buy ready-made cakes because it's more expensive.

Reaction score
I don't buy cake mixes because I like mixing my ingredients myself. I like to see something I have created go into the oven and I like to see people enjoying my cooking.

Reaction score
As much as I prefer to do the baking myself, I will buy cakes for special occasions or if something looks particularly amazing. There's a great whole foods market here (we just moved recently) and I'm finding myself tempted by their entire bakery section ;). I don't think there's anything wrong with buying from time to time, though.

Reaction score
For birthdays and such, I buy cakes from a special store because I like how they decorate it, but I normally don't buy it from all stores; they contain eggs and I can't eat eggs. If I'm in the mood for ice cream cake, I will also purchase it, but for small events like small family gatherings, I will make my own.

Reaction score
I was talking with my sister about this subject and she likes baking ckes over buying them. She likes being able to make cakes the way she wants to. She will occasionally buy a cake, but only when she is too tired to make one herself.

Reaction score
I rarely get a chance to bake anymore. I wait til I have time and I will bake a cake for my family, but I have been working more so I may not get the chance as often ad I would like.

Reaction score
Our supermarket has an amazing clearance rack with beautiful cakes that still taste fresh, so sometimes I get things from there. We are trying to cut back on sweets so it's best not ot have these things in our house all the time.

Reaction score
I always try to get my cake fresh. I once bought a cake on sale and it was dry and hard which let me know it had been there a while. I now make sure that any store bought cake is fresh.

Reaction score
I have not bought a cake. I always make them. The only baked goods I will buy is an occasional doughnut for the kids. Or fresh italian bread if I decide on a whip to make soup or something and want fresh bread. But usually I will make that myself too.

Reaction score
Sometimes I buy cake mixes, but I never actually buy ready-made cakes because it's more expensive.

Nothing wrong with cake mixes, I use them often when pressed for time and need something to whip up. Scratch is preferred for me, if I find the right recipe. I have been trying to move away from the boxed mixes, as they have all shrunk in size.

Reaction score
Sometimes I buy cakes because I don't have the skills to decorate a birthday or special occasion cake. If I tried to pipe Happy Birthday on a cake, it would look like a mess.
I'd rather leave the fancy lettering and roses to professionals.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with cake mixes, I use them often when pressed for time and need something to whip up. Scratch is preferred for me, if I find the right recipe. I have been trying to move away from the boxed mixes, as they have all shrunk in size.
I agree that the box cake mixes are getting smaller and smaller. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Good to know I am not alone.

Ask a Question