Do you think that it is also important for a husband to know how to cook and bake?

Reaction score
When it comes to cooking and baking do you think that is is also important for a husband to know to do this kind of activities at home? Personally my husband also knows how to cook that is why sometimes I do not have a hard time in preparing or cooking for him. In fact sometimes he cooks better than me. And it is of great help too if I am not able to cook for some reasons. How about your husband?

Reaction score
Is it important? I guess that would vary depending on who you would ask. If you ask a woman that did not grow up cooking that has kids it would be of great service for her husband to be a wiz in the kitchen. Ask another and they might feel that their space is being intruded upon if they are the type that likes to rule the oven. So I guess my answer is yes sometimes and no sometimes.

Reaction score
I speak from the future husband point of view and I think it can be important that your wife is able to cook. Especially for me, because sometimes I could feel tired and we would need something to eat :)
I am joking of course. I don't let women getting anywhere near my kitchen :p
So, by saying that I really think and I actually know that the most of the professional cooks are men and we actually cook better. This is not the question though so yes, I think that both partners should be able to cook.

Reaction score
@djordjem87 you must crawl out from under that rock more often.
Not only are there many more female cooks on the line these days but a large number are Executive Chefs as well.
They write menus, keep the labor and food costs under control ....plus all the myriad duties to keep thing humming along.
You maybe have heard of James Beard (RIP, James) and his foundation that every year awards and honors the best Chefs in America..... and some of them are actually ...can I say it?
Women!

Huny

Reaction score
I think it's wonderful when a husband can help out in the kitchen. My experience tells me it's never too late. Once my husband was not even big on washing a dish but after about 10 years he got involved in the kitchen cooking and now thinks he is a better cook than I am. He is not a baker. Maybe he is watching as I learn and then he might jump in.

Reaction score
I honestly think that cooking and baking are great skills for anyone to have. Sadly I think they're skills that have fallen by the wayside to a degree. I know for me, my school focused primarily on academics and forgot about how important practical life skills are - I was just lucky that my family cooked and baked a lot, so I learned it all there.

My husband takes a keen interest in the kitchen, and that makes me happy! It's something we enjoy doing together as a team!

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love it if my future husband knew how to cook, but sadly he can hardly fry an egg. He has told me he is interested to learn how to do it. I do plan to teach him to cook some basic things, but for even something like a salad his daunting.

His parents didn't do a good job raising him to be honest, and one of the many things they failed to teach him was to be self-sufficient. But that doesn't mean things can't change :) I will teach him everything I know little by little, and least in cooking, because I don't expect him to bake anything that is not a savory dish.

Reaction score
I think it's wonderful when a husband can help out in the kitchen. My experience tells me it's never too late. Once my husband was not even big on washing a dish but after about 10 years he got involved in the kitchen cooking and now thinks he is a better cook than I am. He is not a baker. Maybe he is watching as I learn and then he might jump in.

Yeah, most husbands aren't into baking ;) Mine definitely isn't, but it's very interested in learning how to cook the kind of things I make for him :) But I have noticed most of the husbands of my friends seem less than interested in baking. It's a man thing ;) Just like most male gardeners I have met seem very interested in growing edibles, but not flowers and other ornamental plants ;)

Reaction score
My husband is an excellent cook, and actually learned me a lot of things when we first met! We both share a passion for eating good food and appreciate the work that has been put in to prepare a meal.

Besides having a love for food in common - it's also nice to cook together or to be able to 'take turns' cooking.

Baking and desserts however is another story! That field belongs to me only

Reaction score
Absolutely. I personally think it's not important , but it could be a really good thing, my dad actually knows how to make pizzas and bake some bread, he's not a professional baker not either anything like so, but he likes doing it and that's what matters here, so yes, it's okay as well.

Reaction score
There are a couple of things that my husband cooks really well and I always leave it to him to make those dishes. I do not know that it is important that he learns how to bake unless he really wants to. It is good for men to learn how to cooks so they can help out around the house if you are gone for a couple of days or sick.

Reaction score
There are a couple of things that my husband cooks really well and I always leave it to him to make those dishes. I do not know that it is important that he learns how to bake unless he really wants to. It is good for men to learn how to cooks so they can help out around the house if you are gone for a couple of days or sick.

That's a really common thing, we do not always know how to cook everything just as women do, the same thing happens with my dad, he's good at making cakes and pizzas, but he is not that good when it comes to making some normal food such as lunch and that sort of food, it's really weird though.

Reaction score
I think, not only baking, but cooking in general, is a good life skill. I would love for my fiance to be able to cook, even if its not a ton of meals, but learning the basics. We have three young kiddos, and if I were ever unable to make dinner for some reason, I would like for my kids to still eat home cooked meals.

Yok

Reaction score
i think its important that a man knows his way around the kitchen in this day and age....i'm glad to say i am one of these men, and my other half definetly appreciates it....
on the flip side, i guess i'll start showing her some DIY tips :)

Reaction score
This thread gave me a laugh. No offense meant though. My husband is the kitchen master and I'm only an assistant who is the official taster of the house. So it is funny to think that I will say I agree that it is important for a husband to know how to cook and bake. I have admitted long ago that my husband is the one cooking our meals and he is also the best when it comes to baking. But on the other hand, he is also teaching me to cook and to bake, it's just that I am lazy for that.

Ask a Question