Do you use a candy thermometer?

Reaction score
So, this isn't strictly speaking baking, but I am guessing most of us here also occasionally like to make candy, fudge or no-bake cookies. When you do, do you use a candy thermometer, or do you wing it?

I wing it. I have gotten so that I can get my syrups to achieve soft ball stage easier when I don't use a thermometer. Once I learned the ice cold water trick, I was golden. Just drop a few droplets of your syrup into ice cold water. If they form little soft, squishy balls (you can even handle them to see!), you have reached that stage. If they dribble around/dissipate somewhat, you aren't there yet.

Even this last Christmas, my mom had me try using her candy thermometer with fudge. I couldn't get it to register the temperature I needed. It appeared that it wasn't getting hot enough, however the fudge had reached soft ball stage when I checked with the ice water trick.

Do you use one?

Reaction score
I always see candy thermometers being used when it comes to demonstrations but when it comes to the actual candy making already, I guess one just begins to know if what he/she is doing is right with any other means aside from a thermometer. My mom has also never used a candy thermometer whenever she bakes or makes desserts. She just knows she's on the right rack basing on her own set of standards and observations. :)

Reaction score
I'm glad to know I am not an odd-ball then! LOL :)

I do the same as your mom, gracer, even with other kinds of cooking and baking. I just go with my gut, and that is how I've always learned and improved.

Yummy, now I'm thinking about fudge and candy, though, and have a hankering for something very bad for me, like eggnog fudge.

Reaction score

I do the same as your mom, gracer, even with other kinds of cooking and baking. I just go with my gut, and that is how I've always learned and improved.

Yummy, now I'm thinking about fudge and candy, though, and have a hankering for something very bad for me, like eggnog fudge.

OMG!!
Eggnog!!!!

Like pumpkin and pumpkin spice, I LOOOOOOOOVE anything eggnoggy!!!!

Reaction score

I guess it's right to say that "practice makes perfect" when it comes to baking. If one is already accustomed to it and knows the ins-and-outs of it, there's really no need to follow all the rules just like the use of thermometers. I've also noticed that my mom bakes fast if she just follows her instinct when it comes to cooking or baking. :)

Reaction score
I have used a candy thermometer in the past, but really, I've made so much stuff that should technically require a candy thermometer that I can pretty much eyeball it now. I think having that skill takes time and practice. I still would use mine if I was trying out a new recipe though most likely.

Reaction score
What is it? That was my first reaction as I had no idea what it was. I am guessing it's because I am still a newbie in the baking department that I didn't know what it was. Even in my ignorance I still think I would wing it as that's what I am good at and thanks for teaching me something new by the way.

Reaction score
Well I am glad to see that I am not the only one who had never heard of one before. I do not have much experience with making candy though either so I was not too surprised. That said, I think that I want to get more into making my own candy, and it sounds like a good little project to look into, so thanks for the motivation.

Ask a Question