Do you use a regular or commercial mixer?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by True2marie, Dec 30, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marie Well-Known Member

My brother in-law loves to bake. For this reason, he bought a commercial mixer. When I found out, I thought this was strange. He only bakes at home. As you probably guessed, I own a 'regular' mixer.

Do you use a regular or commercial mixer?

[​IMG] (What my brother-in law bought.)

True2marie, Dec 30, 2013
    chellebaeby likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. True2marie

TheViper Well-Known Member

Well, I guess if you are going to get something then you matter as well get the top of the line. Maybe, he bakes a lot at home and needs something more durable.

TheViper, Dec 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. True2marie

True2marie Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law bakes the same stuff that most people do - cakes, cookies, pies. None of them are fancy. I just think he wanted to get some type of gizmo to make his baking seem high-tech.

It's his (and my sister's) money. So, this purchase doesn't really matter. I just thought it was over-the-top.

True2marie, Jan 1, 2014
  4. True2marie

Josie Well-Known Member

I will use my hands until I can't use my hands any more. My grandmother always used her hands with the occasional hand mixer thrown in.. I learned from the best. I'm sure she would have loved these newer machines that save you the trouble, but part of the love of baking I have is the involvement. Maybe I'd change my mind once I got my hands on one, but for now, I'm happy doing things the old fashioned way and when my hands start to bother me, I'll spring for the big guns :)

Josie, Jan 2, 2014
  5. True2marie

cmckinney01 Well-Known Member

I, too, am a hands on type of baker. I own a mixer but usually just use my wooden spoon. I'm old-fashioned, I guess. I'd rather it do the old-fashioned way than to use modern gadgets. It's more fun that way. I'm not against using machines such as mixers. It's just I prefer doing things by hand. Maybe it's just a force of habit with me. I'm not sure.

cmckinney01, Jan 14, 2014
  6. True2marie

chellebaeby Member

The commercial mixers are nice. You can do so many things with them besides making cakes. I have been wanting one for sometime but they are so expensive.

chellebaeby, Jan 23, 2014
  7. True2marie

chellebaeby Member

I use a regular mixer right now or a spoon depending on how I am feeling that day. This year I have decided to break down and buy a commercial one. I have been putting it off because they are so pricey but I am baking a lot more these days. My dream is to own my own eatery with baked goods. I think it will be a good investment for my dream.:cool:

chellebaeby, Jan 24, 2014
  8. True2marie

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I don't have any stand mixer currently, but I've been thinking about getting one soon. I am trying to pair down some of my other appliances first to make room for it.

I thought KitchenAid mixers were the "gold standard" of stand mixers - I didn't even know there were any other industrial brands (other than the huge floor models). Does this have a better motor or something? What set's it apart from the KitchenAid models? Is it much more expensive?

My hand mixer usually takes care of most tasks for me. But I would really like to get the stand mixer to knead dough for me. I hate making a mess all over my counter trying to do it by hand.

OhioTom76, Jan 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question