Do you use a rolling pin?

Do you still use a rolling pin?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Years ago, after a move, I began using a glass to roll out dough. Ever since, my rolling pin has been collecting dust. For some reason, manipulating a glass is so much easier. By the way, none of my baked goods come out any different.

With this said, do you still use a rolling pin?

Using-a-vase-as-a-rolling-pin-640x460.jpg

Reaction score
I received a rolling pin as a gift years ago but I haven't used it. I still hang on to it in case I need it someday, but I haven't used it yet. A lot of cookie recipes are dropped cookies, not rolled out cookies.

Reaction score
I haven't used a rolling pin in ages, I actually don't own one. The times I need to roll out anything, I just use a regular glass. It hasn't affected the outcome of my cookies or biscuits in any way.

Reaction score
I got a nice rolling pin as a wedding gift. I think I have used it maybe twice. I just don't really have a need for it. I usually just use other things that I find handy around my kitchen. It's not that I don't like it, or that I dont want to use it, it's just I honestly don't think of it.

Reaction score
I don't own one but I have been wanting to use my cookie cutters so I will probably just use a glass, too.

Reaction score
I use my rolling pin for biscuits and pie dough. They are not essential for that because you can use a wine bottle or a glass. All that matters is you keep your dough cold enough for the butter in it to work. My problem with a rolling pin is that I can never get anything to roll out in a perfect circle. It always comes out oblong and I have to patch the dough.

Reaction score
The only time I use a rolling ion is when I make dough for pie.

I have a wooden one now but we used to have on that was plastic and you could put ice in it. I guess that was supposed to help do something? I think one of the dogs got ahold of it and it ended up in the trash.

I've never tried using a glass. I will have to try it though as, it, does seem like, it would be easier to manipulate.

Reaction score
I use a rolling pin that my grandma gave me. I use it religiously, in hopes that my food comes out as tasty as hers did. What is that dough being rolled out? It looks like something I would be nibbling on, while trying to bake it. I tend to eat more dough, than I do the actual product baked. :)

Reaction score
The only time I use a rolling ion is when I make dough for pie.

I have a wooden one now but we used to have on that was plastic and you could put ice in it. I guess that was supposed to help do something? I think one of the dogs got ahold of it and it ended up in the trash.

I've never tried using a glass. I will have to try it though as, it, does seem like, it would be easier to manipulate.
The ice helps keep the dough cold. As you know, the more you work dough it gets warm. The butter or fat in the dough needs to be kept cold to do its job which is making a flakey crust. You can also refrigerate the dough in between working with it to keep it cold.

Reaction score
I don't own a rolling pin. I always use a glass myself. It works just fine for me.

Reaction score
I always use a rolling pin for pastry,but the glass idea sounds good. I make sure I put pastry into the fridge before I start rolling it out or its just too soft and messy!

Reaction score
I use a rolling pin now that I have one available to me, but before then I simply used an empty wine bottle, it works just as well. Although I have never tried using a glass before, but as I have just read it works great too. :)

Reaction score
I used to have it and have used it in the past.... it's a huge pain in the butt for me. I don't have the upper body strength for it and I admire the women of old that have used it on a daily basis. My grandmother is 82 years old and she's a master at using the rolling pin. As embarrassing as it is, I struggle more with it than she does. If I have to flatten something, I use my hands or I would rather get like a giant old textbook that I barely use and squish the dough lol

Reaction score
Lol, I say as long as the job gets done, who cares how you do it. Also I'm sure you could try taking a baking tray to flatten things with too, a bit better than an old text book, wouldn't you say?;)

Reaction score
I recently bought one to make rolling out my pizza dough easier, but I do not find it necessary. A good sturdy glass will do the trick as well; I suppose it depends on what you're trying to create. If you need to get a fairly consistently thin crust or something, or would suggest a rolling pin.

Reaction score
I don't own a rolling pin. I tend to use a glass or something similar in shape instead. Works just as well!

Reaction score
I have used a glass before, because my rolling pin was packed up in a box. It works, and being resourceful is a great skill to have. If you prefer using a glass, there's no reason to change. My only complaint is that sometimes glasses are too short, and the edge will cut into the dough slightly. I usually make drop cookies instead of roll out, but I do make a lot of pies, tarts, and scones. I've also used a glass as a scone and biscuit cutter, again, because I couldn't find my cutters. I received a non-stick Teflon rolling pin as a wedding gift a few years ago, and I LOVE IT. It makes me feel professional, ha! I just keep it in a cupboard that's accessible, so it's not a pain to dig out.

Reaction score
I have a wood rolling pin. I use a rolling pin to make biscuits. I make fresh biscuits from scratch. I roll out the biscuit dough with my rolling pin. My biscuits looks and taste amazing.

Reaction score
I still use my rolling pin for a number of reasons.

1) It doesn't shatter if I were to drop it.
2) I like the feel of the wood
3) It's large enough for me to use to transfer larger sheets of pastry dough.

That being said, I suppose as long as you have something of a similar shape, it can suffice as a rolling pin replacement. In the end, if it gets the job done, no one can fault you.

Reaction score
I rarely make anything that needs a rolling pin.

I was without a rolling pin for quite a while, though, due to an unfortunate kitchen disaster that destroyed mine. During that time, I used a wine bottle for rolling out pie crusts.

Ask a Question