Do you use yogurt in your baking?

Reaction score
I too make my own yogurt, sour cream , and sometimes butter. My recipe for yogurt adds a dry milk,2 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla. This creates some thing close to the Greek style yogurt.
I tried cooking in a crock pot once but failed miserably. I think I understand what I did wrong and may try it again .

Reaction score
I didn't really think about it much when I tried out the new chocolate recipe for my birthday cake few days ago. Now it makes sense! :3

Reaction score
I would never have thought of using it but from everything I've learned since coming to the forum I would be happy to give yogurt a try. Someone in one of the post spoke about the cake being made sour but I doubt that. I actually think it would bring good balance to a sweet cake.

Reaction score
I make a qt of yogurt once a week in my slow cooker. I add powdered milk, vanilla and Stevia at the right time in 2 percent milk. This makes the yogurt thicker and creamer like Greek yogurt. The difference is the whey which when strained makes it Greek. I for one prefer to mix the whey into my yogurt at the time it is served. It taste good and is good for you. No need to bake with it. It doesn't stay in my fridge that long, but while we are on the subject, making sour cream is easy and usable for cooking,eating etc.
Mix 1 cup heavy cream and I/4 cup buttermilk. Do not stir. Cover with a lid or cap and shake just a bit. Set it some where it won't be disturbed for about 9 hours or more until it sets. You will know if it sets by how solid it becomes. Don't rush it. Most good things take time.

Reaction score
I like yogurt by itself but I’m not a fan of it in baked goods. It always makes my cakes super dense and I’m not a fan of the sourish flavor either. If I wanted everything I made to taste like sourdough or old-world donuts I’d make sourdough and old-world donuts. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I will admit though that yogurt pairs well with lemony desserts. Things like lemon pound cake, cakes with lemon curd filling, and lemon cheesecake go well with yogurt. I don’t substitute the milk out completely though, it’s more of a half-half thing. But I’m absolutely interested in making my own yogurt. Does it have more or less cultures than store bought yogurt? Does it work with non-dairy milks like soy milk or almond milk? How much do you typically make per week? How long does it keep? I don’t think I’ll have trouble finding a spot that stays above room temperature though. I live in Texas after all.

Reaction score
It's so interesting that I should see this post brought into focus at this time. Only yesterday I picked up quite a few yogurts in the supermarket and as I was picking them up I got to thinking about whether I would use any in my baking. Maybe it was because I remembered it being discussed here. Sadly I can't answer any of Nekomimi_modie questions.

I should add that I am very impressed that some here are making their own yogurt, sour cream and the like.

Reaction score
I do use yogurt in a few things - I like to make a blueberry lemon yogurt loaf which is deliciously moist and I owe that to the yogurt I think! I just love the texture it gives to things!

Reaction score
My mother had some recipe for pizza dough with yoghurt but it was unnecessary. She is making some small croissants with yoghurt but that is it. For pizza water is just fine. I believe women here in Serbia used this method for some pastry and some of it still is not forgotten but still I do not like it too much. Although for these croissants it is quite good.

Ask a Question