Do you wear a hair net for cooking?

Reaction score
Whenever I am in the kitchen before I prepare, cook or bake something I see to it that my hair is well groom and is hold into its proper place so that I will feel comfortable when I am doing those activities. And so I always wear a hair net to prevent my hair from falling and for me to look clean in appearance while I am cooking or baking.

How about you?

Reaction score
My hair is usually in a ponytail so I don't usually worry too much about a hairnet. Perhaps if I was cooking for a big crowd I would put a hat or bandana or something over my hair to cover it more, but I haven't had any specific issues with hair falling into food so far (hopefully it stays that way!)

Reaction score
Never, lol. I always tie my hair in a bun, one of those low buns not the high ones. I haven't had issues with hair in my food, or at least I haven't told if I did, lol. I honestly don't see myself wearing a hair net anytime soon.

Reaction score
I really don't worry about it at home. I think there is too much emphasis on killing all bacteria and that all bacteria is bad for you - no it is not. The gut need bacteria, in fact it is the bacteria/micromes in our gut that enable us to live in the first place. I know finding hair in your food feels bad, but assuming your hair is not laden with styling gel and the likes, there is not that much on it that won't be killed by the cooking process as it is. And to be honest, you are probably eating hair and feathers without knowing it anyway!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...nos-unlikely-ingredients-favourite-foods.html
So, no I don't worry about it at home. I think we have enough stress in our lives and at home we should be able to relax a little and if that means eating or at least pulling out hair from a meal and not worrying about it (though usually we inspect it and states 'it's one of yours' to the offender and hand it back) then so be it.

Reaction score
I do not wear a hairnet when cooking, however; I do pull my hair back into a bun so it is not flying all over the place and leaving loose hair in the food. It helps so much, plus it helps keep me cooler when cooking and leaning over a hot stove. I live in the South and unfortunately, cannot afford to run my a/c. So pullling my hair up plus running a large fan in the kitchen do help make things more bearable when cooking in the summer time.

Reaction score
I have worn one occasionally, way back in the day, but not for years. I don't like hair in my food, and certainly wouldn't want it in food that someone else was going to eat, so I tend to tie my hair back before I start cooking. I usually put it in a ponytail or messy bun, behind me, and off of my shoulders. I do the same when I'm going to do yard work. I don't like hair hanging in my face, and sometimes it can be dangerous if it catches on something, so I think of it not only as a health issue in the kitchen, but also a safety issue both in the kitchen, and when working with tools.

Reaction score
I have never used a hair net in my hair either. I tie it back in a ponytail or a bun and I am good to go. My family has never found my hair in their food so it has not presented a problem. If I worked in a professional kitchen I would definitely wear a hair net.

Reaction score
Never. As a male who enjoys cooking, I generally always have a clean shaven appearance with little to no head hair (buzz cuts, short cuts) so I generally don't worry about it. If I do worry about it, I just wear a hat and it's enough to keep it out of the way. Never needed a hair net, but then again I've never let my hair grow below my shoulders without chopping it off.

Reaction score
Nope I just tie it using a ponytail so it wont disturb me from baking.

Reaction score
I guess wearing a hairnet is required for commercial cooking. When a baking at home, I just make sure to keep my hair neat and secured in a ponytail. It would be a turn-off, even for family members if you see a strand of hair on their favorite dessert. LOL.

Ask a Question