Looking for a Pastry Knife for Mixer

Reaction score
It looks something like this. if I can't get one, I can get away with using one of these:
Pastry cutter.jpg
knife-pastry.jpg

Reaction score
If you contact customer service for the manufacture of your mixer they should be able to give you names of distributors for accessories.

Reaction score
globe-xxbeat-08-flat-beater.jpg

I saw a vid of someone using the flat beater to make pastry in their Globe sp08 mixer bowl. Maybe that'll work!!

Reaction score
There’s a food editor over at Food 52 Who swears that you can make flaky pie crust using a mixer w/ a paddle attachment. I’ve never tried it. Her photos look convincing, but I know for a fact breaking the fat down to tiny bits and not adding enough water does not create a flaky pastry. So I am very skeptical. If you try it let me know how it turns out.

Reaction score
I forgot! It CAN be done with a food processor, but you have to do it in quick pulses to keep the dough from being over processed.:)

Reaction score
I forgot! It CAN be done with a food processor, but you have to do it in quick pulses to keep the dough from being over processed.:)

I’m just not a fan of the food processor pastry. The food processor cuts the fat into tiny little pieces, so crust is never really that flaky. The fat needs to be in chunks. And when the dough is rolled, they turn to thin flakes.

The other problem is for some reason Americans think you don’t add water to pastry dough. But you need water to make a dough. I’ve used 30% hydration for years. And this was confirmed in Michel Suas’ book. And you don’t need to dribble it in, add it all at once.

This notion that you can’t get flaky pastry with water is illogical. Puff pastry has 50% hydration. Americans go to baking school, learn to make puff pastry, then turn around and insist that you can’t put water in pastry that’s used in other applications. I don’t understand where they come up with these ideas.

I just feel like I get a better product with traditional methods.
90B47E30-78D9-4573-99AE-84C0A84E7E6B.jpeg

0189412C-BD2A-4CDF-BA32-0BA62C8D888E.jpeg

0E8A1F49-CB79-4F23-829C-D77B37E6034C.jpeg

Reaction score
I DO have a food processor cookbook. One of the recipes in it are for making pie crust. Sounds kind of easy.:)

Reaction score
I DO have a food processor cookbook. One of the recipes in it are for making pie crust. Sounds kind of easy.:)

I’m not saying that you can’t use a food processor @Linus. I have tried it many times using various recipes. I just find it cuts the butter too small. There’s no control. It’s fast it’s easy but it’s not in my opinion the best crust.

i’d be curious about the mixer and paddle If you try it let me know how it turns out

Ask a Question