Does anyone love making fruitcake?

Reaction score
Yes, I am a Fruitcake lover. My mom has thought me how to make it. My mom been making Fruitcake from ever since I was a little girl. What I love about Fruitcake is the darkness of the cake, and the sweet wined fruits added. When making Fruitcake you have to add a lot of rum to preserve it longer. It is your choice if you want to add some rum in it or not. But adding rum is the best thing to do, if you want cake to last longer.

My favorite part in making Fruitcake is adding the rum. My second part I love is the cake being studded with fluorescent green and red cherries, and walnuts that can break a tooth :rolleyes:. I am so addicted to this cake, I decided to give it a name The Drunken Cake. :confused:

thCALEGFKO.jpg

Reaction score
That cake actually looks great, Twinklebell. I don't like the stale fruitcake at the supermarket, but homemade fruitcake is pretty good. I personally don't make it, but I have a neighbor that makes a mean fruitcake.

Reaction score
My mother told me about a fruit cake that used spice drops candy instead of actual fruit and it sounded interesting to me but I wanted to use the gum drops that were fruity instead of spiced.

Reaction score
I'm not too crazy for fruit cake but if it is homemade like when my grandmother used to make it, then will eat a little of it, but now my little brother loves fruit cake and my grandmother always made it especially for him because he loved it so much, the rest of didn't really care too much for it, but would always try some of it ,:)

Reaction score
My Caribbean friends all love the fruitcake! One makes it as fruitcake cookies, which I imagine are more convenient in many ways. Don't know about the rum content of those though!

Reaction score
Ever since I've got into baking I've wanted to give Fruitcake a shot. It has always been one of my favorite desserts, but it looks so complicated. Does anybody have an easy Fruitcake recipe?

Reaction score
I wanted to add that I do love fruit cake and I think they are beautiful. Take the one in the picture by the original poster, it is not only a dessert but a Christmas decoration.

Reaction score
I've tried to bake one and it was a dissaster never tried again, but i love fruit cakes!!! Will eat it everyday if i can!!

Reaction score
I have made fruit cakes a few time in the past, if you do not follow recipe directions correctly though, it can turn out quite a mess, over trial and error too though, a really great fruit cake can be achieved. Particularly good for when Christmas time comes around.

Reaction score
I've tried to bake one and it was a dissaster never tried again, but i love fruit cakes!!! Will eat it everyday if i can!!
When I first tried making a Fruitcake it was a disaster too. My mom taught me how to make it. From ever since, I started making Fruitcake like it wasn't the first time I made one. I'm from the Caribbean and we bake a lot of Fruitcakes. Especially around the Christmas holidays.

Reaction score
I personally don't like fruitcake, but I have made one before for my parents. It's so hard to gauge how long it needs in the cooker! I kept checking and checking and it was in there for longer than I expected, but it came out perfectly! I really wouldn't mind making another one as the recipe I had was quite simple :)

Reaction score
I have never had a fresh homemade fruitcake but the ones at the store are down right nasty! The cake part is either dry as it can be or the fruits are harder than a rock to eat. I don't like their taste. I may try a fresh one just to see how different it is from a store bought.

Reaction score
I make homemade fruitcakes especially during the sprintime when i can put strawberries from my garden in it. It's more than delicious and I enjoy even more knowing it's all natural and fresh.

Reaction score
Fruitcake looks really beautiful, but I am not a fan of actually eating it. I have never really liked the flavor or texture.

Reaction score
I've never actually made fruitcake, but maybe this winter I'll give it a shot. Nobody in my family (including me) is really a huge fan of fruitcake, so I don't know how worth it it would be! Might be fun anyway though, and I could give it as a gift, haha!

Reaction score
For me fruit cake is a family tradition, my mom has being baking fruit cake from i'm a tiny tot and i so enjoyed cleaning the mixing bowl with my tiny fingers back then. T o my dismay my children however does not like the fruits in the fruit cake so what my mom does is have them blended using the rum and then add it to the mixture; and it does taste much smoother.

Ask a Question