How important is brand when buying baking equipment?

Reaction score
I am baking a little more since I am in this forum and basically working with what I have in turns of equipment. Much of my baking equipment is quite old and as I progress, I know I am going to have to upgrade. I was checking around and the brands I am seeing look quite foreign.

Is brand a big thing with you when it comes to your baking equipment?

Reaction score
I have a super tight budget, so I'm not in a place to be brand picky at the moment. Some of my equipment was handed down to me, and some of it was just whatever I could pick up at a good price. So, I'm not really the best to make suggestions on that kind of thing...I can say though that for a lot of things, you CAN make do with off-brand products :).

Reaction score
I WILL make do with what I have at present. Yet I know if I continue baking more I will have to add or replace some equipment. I saw some post about a baking dish by a Rachael Ray and the person seemed quite excited so I figured that was one of the big names in baking ware and equipment. Anyway I just thought I would throw it out there to see what people were thinking.

I have to focus still on perfecting the "art". In TERMS (used turns in original posting) of equipment, I will stick to what I have for now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you have something that was handed down to you, chances are, the quality of the equipment is pretty good. I've had one mixer for probably at least ten years, so I decided it was time to upgrade. I learned that the cheapest brand of mixer from Walmart was not a good quality, when I burned out the motor while mixing some pizza dough. Fortunately, I hadn't thrown away my original mixer, and so I finished with my old mixer. The lesson I learned for me, also being on a tight budget, is to use my dependable baking equipment unless I can afford to buy a good, dependable replacement. But even then, I still wouldn't buy the most expensive one on the market. I just don't bake enough to do that right now.

Reaction score
I associate some brands with quality. For example, I would only use KitchenAid mixers because they are built to last. Even within KitchenAid mixers, there are those with plastic parts vs all metal, and you have to be careful which model you buy. As for food processors and other equipment, I just buy whatever is cheaper and hope for the best.

Reaction score
I associate some brands with quality. For example, I would only use KitchenAid mixers because they are built to last. Even within KitchenAid mixers, there are those with plastic parts vs all metal, and you have to be careful which model you buy. As for food processors and other equipment, I just buy whatever is cheaper and hope for the best.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I hear that name and I think quality appliances. I have heard arguments for and against buying by brand but I know they are some die hard people who only want certain brands because in their minds, this is the best product. What also concerns me in situations like this is that with brand usually comes a heavy price tag.

I reiterate I am working with what I have until I have a specific neeed.

Reaction score
I compare prices and read reviews. For electrical items I look at the guarantee, for other things I like pans I do the usual tests to look at durability as all things will age, but price is a factor and quality too. I prefer to spend more on quality but not huge sums if they will only be used occasionally.

Reaction score
Brand does not matter to me as long as the quality is good. I am looking for the best deal, so that means the lowest price I can pay for acceptable quality. There are some brands I really like, but ultimately it is whatever I can afford if I really need something.

Reaction score
I traveled recently and went to the local Walmart thinking I would pick up some new equipment to work with in the kitchen. Then I checked my pocket and decided I will continue to work with what I have until I have a serious NEED.

Reaction score
If it's like a big appliance, then yes. I want, and would like, something that will last me a long time verses something that will break within a matter of months. Things like food processor, mixers, etc we buy Kitchen Aid when we can (or we just save up for it). But if it's things like rubber spatulas or whisks or something like that I don't mind going cheap since those things are often replaced anyway.

Reaction score
I make use of what i have at the moment as the money isn't readily available to get new kitchen equipment; to an extent brand does matter to me as there are some brands that have a better quality thus making them last a little longer....at this point i don't have much of a choice so i don't make it be a bother.

Reaction score
Brand does not matter to me as long as the quality is good. I am looking for the best deal, so that means the lowest price I can pay for acceptable quality. There are some brands I really like, but ultimately it is whatever I can afford if I really need something.
This is how I shop too. If a product is well made and works well, it doesn't need to be a known brand. I've bought items based on reviews that turned out to be good, despite not being branded.

Ask a Question