Does your childs school have a fair with a cake walk?

Reaction score
When I was growing up, our school had a fair every year. For us kids, it was awesome! In retrospect it was probably just a lot of fold up tables holding dollar store quality items as prizes. The one thing I remember that would still strike me as a thing of value was the cake walk. The mothers would bring baked goods to donate for a cake walk. You began walking a circle to a certain type of music and then when the circle stopped you saw what number you were on. That number corresponded with a box that had one of the baked goods in it. I have not heard of this for years but still think its a great idea. Does your child's school have a cake walk? Or maybe you have attended a different even that had something similar and can share.

Reaction score
I've not heard of any cake walks at my kids schools let alone craft fairs like I did growing up. We can't even bring in baked goods from our own house. Everything has to be store bought. Its definitely not like it was back in the day.

Reaction score
Yes and no.

The schools around here DO have the cake walks, in terms of walking around in a circle and a number being chosen.

Unfortunately, because of restricted laws and food regulations, you're only allowed to prepare food for the public if you have a food license that is re-certified every year. Most everyday parents don't have this, so they require that you only bring storebought cakes. :(

The last one I went to actually had a few "twinkie" c

Reaction score
I have heard of cake walks but i have never sen one in real life. Iam just not understanding this no home bake goods thing. Store bought baked goods areloaded with chemicals and procesed junk. The schools need to spend more time an real deal educational matters. What about the currents state of those aweful school lunches?

Reaction score
When I was in school and when my children were in school there was always a Fall Fair. I remember there always being a cake walk and how much it was enjoyed by kids and adults alike. I do not know if my grandson's Fall Fair has a cake walk or not. I do not think I have seen one listed in the events scheduled.

Reaction score
Iam just not understanding this no home bake goods thing. Store bought baked goods areloaded with chemicals and procesed junk.

Oh, it's because of the lack of regulation. If I bake a cake in my kitchen, it might be wonderful, fresh, healthy, etc. The next family over may be using a dirty kitchen with bugs crawling all over, expired milk, old eggs, etc, etc. So many schools require food licenses or storebought only so that you are able to "better trust" the food that is being brought.

It's an overreaction on many levels, but it's kind of like how for Halloween, you really shouldn't eat homemade treats unless you know the person. Otherwise, there's no telling what's inside...

Reaction score
I haven't heard the phrase "cake walk" in a very long time! I used to participate when I was a kid, but I don't think the schools in my area still have them. My nieces or nephews never talked about cake walks or even a bake sale. It's sad really.

Reaction score
We had them when I was in school, too, and it was exactly the same, right down to the dollar store goodie tables, lol. I haven't even heard the term in a long, long time though. A lot of the schools now won't even do bake sales or treats brought in for certain days- or if they do, they have to be store bought. Different times, I suppose.

Reaction score
Sadly too, there are far too many regulations regarding to food making over here, so even if we wanted to do it like it was before there is no chance of that happening, unless you hold a special license! Which in my opinion is just plain stupid, so many restrictions take the fun away off everything.

Reaction score
It never dawned on me that there would be so many regulations now. But it makes sense since many children have food allergies. I suppose the same principle could be used for things like crafts or gifts for kids. But it was fun to do back in the day. For some reason store bought goods don't do it for me as much as the home-aide baked goods do. Maybe when we have parties for kids we could do something similar in our home. Most of us who would invite other children into our homes would be aware of certain conditions they might have. But I suppose it is a big responsibility. Life has become so much more complicated than it was in 1984! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
My elementary school had this event every year that's around Halloween...don't remember what it's called but it's basically a huge festival of all things Halloween related. One of the events was a cake walk and I've definitely tried it but never won :p But then again I'm the type of person who never wins at games like those so oh well!

Reaction score
My elementary school had this event every year that's around Halloween...don't remember what it's called but it's basically a huge festival of all things Halloween related. One of the events was a cake walk and I've definitely tried it but never won :p But then again I'm the type of person who never wins at games like those so oh well!

You WIN in my book: you are the first person to respond that their school has them! I don't know what I can give you as a reward for winning though. I have a free e-book coupon if you want: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/475160 and then you type in the code: UH69P.

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my school had cake walks. None of my daughter's schools have done them. Nowadays, kids raise money by selling candy bars instead of having bake sales.

Reaction score
My children school does not have cake walks however they do have bake sales and each parent is allowed to take cakes,puddings or cookies...proceeds from these bakes sales are usually used to the upliftment of the school.

Ask a Question