Doggy Bites

What did your dogs think of the Doggy Bites?

• They sniffed it, then walked away.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My dog ate it, then spit it out.

• My dog ate it, and now he/she loves me FOREVER! Thank you so much!

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello there,

If you're reading this, you probably like dogs! I have a recipe here that I wrote with no hesitation and made in less than 10 minutes (prep, baking, and cleanup time excluded) without testing. My pugs love them, and I just wanted to share this doggy-approved recipe for all the puppers in quarantine. ;)

Here it is:

4 Tablespoon Peanut Butter
1 1/2 Cup Flour (Almond, All-Purpose, etc.)
2 Tablespoon Honey
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Egg
3 Tablespoon vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 360 F".
Mix all wet ingredients together (Peanut butter, honey, egg, oil).
Add dry ingredients. Begin to knead.

TIP: Add little portions of water to the dough at a time to make the dough smooth and mold-able.

Line sheet pan with parchment paper or tin foil. Grease if tin foil.
Roll small portions of dough into balls. Place them on top of the pan, one at a time. Make sure to evenly space all cookie-dough balls.
Take a spoon and gently press down on each ball.

TIP: Take out a fork and embed either design into the dough! Make a hatching design by gently pressing the fork down vertically and horizontally on its bottom. OR; Gently press the fork into the center of the dough, going halfway deep with the tips.

Bake for 15 minutes. Serves warm or room temperature.

NOTE: The biscuits are crumbly! Feed them to your dogs outside!!!!

I really hope you guys enjoy them, as this is my first post. Good luck and stay safe!

-Kooking4Kids (and Rocky and Cobi, my Pugs)

Reaction score
Hello there,

If you're reading this, you probably like dogs! I have a recipe here that I wrote with no hesitation and made in less than 10 minutes (prep, baking, and cleanup time excluded) without testing. My pugs love them, and I just wanted to share this doggy-approved recipe for all the puppers in quarantine. ;)

Here it is:

4 Tablespoon Peanut Butter
1 1/2 Cup Flour (Almond, All-Purpose, etc.)
2 Tablespoon Honey
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Egg
3 Tablespoon vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 360 F".
Mix all wet ingredients together (Peanut butter, honey, egg, oil).
Add dry ingredients. Begin to knead.

TIP: Add little portions of water to the dough at a time to make the dough smooth and mold-able.

Line sheet pan with parchment paper or tin foil. Grease if tin foil.
Roll small portions of dough into balls. Place them on top of the pan, one at a time. Make sure to evenly space all cookie-dough balls.
Take a spoon and gently press down on each ball.

TIP: Take out a fork and embed either design into the dough! Make a hatching design by gently pressing the fork down vertically and horizontally on its bottom. OR; Gently press the fork into the center of the dough, going halfway deep with the tips.

Bake for 15 minutes. Serves warm or room temperature.

NOTE: The biscuits are crumbly! Feed them to your dogs outside!!!!

I really hope you guys enjoy them, as this is my first post. Good luck and stay safe!

-Kooking4Kids (and Rocky and Cobi, my Pugs)

Veterinarians say baking soda and baking powder can be very harmful to dogs. I would not recommend this recipe at all.

Reaction score
Veterinarians say baking soda and baking powder can be very harmful to dogs. I would not recommend this recipe at all.

Thank you for your notice @Norcalbaker59 , but I did some research of my own. My dogs truly enjoy this and dance circles around my kids when it's cookie time. So far, (about six months), my pets have been fine; And I've been using 1 tablespoon.

Baking soda is a natural cleaner and deodorizer that every pet owner likely has on hand. It’s a good option if you wish to avoid cleaning products that contain potentially toxic chemicals or perfumes. Baking powder contains no harmful chemicals and poses no danger to children or pets unless it is ingested in large amounts.

If you are concerned, reduce the baking powder in your own version of this recipe.

This is a great recipe because my kids can make it easily, and we enjoy kneading and shaping the dough.
"Don't underestimate the power of peanut-butter!"- My daughter, age 7.

I would change the writing of this recipe if I could, but this website will not let me edit my post. Good luck and stay safe!

Reaction score
Thank you for your notice @Norcalbaker59 , but I did some research of my own. My dogs truly enjoy this and dance circles around my kids when it's cookie time. So far, (about six months), my pets have been fine; And I've been using 1 tablespoon.

Baking soda is a natural cleaner and deodorizer that every pet owner likely has on hand. It’s a good option if you wish to avoid cleaning products that contain potentially toxic chemicals or perfumes. Baking powder contains no harmful chemicals and poses no danger to children or pets unless it is ingested in large amounts.

If you are concerned, reduce the baking powder in your own version of this recipe.

This is a great recipe because my kids can make it easily, and we enjoy kneading and shaping the dough.
"Don't underestimate the power of peanut-butter!"- My daughter, age 7.

I would change the writing of this recipe if I could, but this website will not let me edit my post. Good luck and stay safe!

Dogs do not need their intestines cleansed, neither do humans. The only reason baking soda/baking powder is used in human baking is for leavening. It is not used as a cleansers. And humans and dogs cannot safely ingest the same things. An example is chocolate. Humans can eat, yet the theobromine in it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures. An overdose of chocolate could even be fatal. Avocado is another food that humans can eat, but dogs cannot due to the persin.

Baking soda/baking powder is in fact harmful to dogs. Vets do not recommend feeding it to dogs. There is absoltuely no reason for it to be used in animal food.. And no recipes for dog treats from the AKC include baking soda/baking powder.

Between my two sons and sister there are 6 dogs. 2 cats, and 1 horse. A lot of dog treats get made and a lot of vet visits.

Reaction score
Dogs do not need their intestines cleansed, neither do humans. The only reason baking soda/baking powder is used in human baking is for leavening. It is not used as a cleansers. And humans and dogs cannot safely ingest the same things. An example is chocolate. Humans can eat, yet the theobromine in it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures. An overdose of chocolate could even be fatal. Avocado is another food that humans can eat, but dogs cannot due to the persin.

Baking soda/baking powder is in fact harmful to dogs. Vets do not recommend feeding it to dogs. There is absoltuely no reason for it to be used in animal food.. And no recipes for dog treats from the AKC include baking soda/baking powder.

Between my two sons and sister there are 6 dogs. 2 cats, and 1 horse. A lot of dog treats get made and a lot of vet visits.

I don't know... I suppose I can try the recipe without baking powder? We'll see how the dogs like the new batch next time I make some.

Reaction score

Also, I never mentioned intestine cleaning.

Reaction score
Also, I never mentioned intestine cleaning.

Well you mentioned natural cleanser so I thought you were referring to using it as an internal cleanse. Those things are all the fad these days. And they are totally a scam. I went through human biology, chemistry, and human anatomy in college, so I have a some basic understanding about biology.

Here’s the thing, the body requires electrolytes: sodium, calcium, potassium, chloride, phosphate, and magnesium

Edit: feeding your dog baking soda/baking powder could alter the balance of electrolytes since it is an alkaline.

When the electrolytes get out of balance in a dog, they can cause seizures and even shock. The thing with dogs is seizures disorders are very common. Once they start, they don’t always go away. My son’s dog died during a seizure a couple of years ago.

Sodium bicarbonate is classified as a drug in vet medicine. It’s used to rebalance the electrolytes. So when you feed your dog baking soda, you alter its electrolyte balance.

Sodium bicarbonate also has other effects in that in increases the excretion of some medications like antibiotics and anti-seizure medications. So if your dog takes some of these medication, and you feed your dog sodium bicarbonate, you could be causing your dog to excrete more medication than they would otherwise, making the meds less effective.

There is also something called metabolic acidosis. This is an increase of acid in the blood, and it occurs over a long period of time. This imbalance of acids is either a loss of alkaline or an increase in acid. So if you feed your dog an alkaline, you can mask/diminish the symptoms of developing metabolic acidosis.

There’s no reason to add baking soda/baking powder to dog treats or food. It can do more harm than good.

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know that.

I took a few short courses on science at Cal, but I mainly focused on language arts, history, and art (and all related subjects). I also took outside HomeEc, but dropped out after year two.

Basic recipe's just come to me on inspiration, and the baking powder wasn't my first ingredient.

I'll stop adding the baking powder, and we'll see what happens. So far, my dogs have been fine (but you never know).

I'm glad that you have told me this, even though I did not appreciate the "I would not recommend this recipe at all" bit in the beginning.

You're very active on this site, and I should be glad that you have made an effort to help my dogs (and everyone elses) even though you have been less than welcoming to me on this forum. You have a very interesting life and you seem to be very social. I like that! :)

My daughter Jules wants to let you know that it is very cool that you have a horse.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 6.21.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 6.21.26 PM.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know that.

I took a few short courses on science at Cal, but I mainly focused on language arts, history, and art (and all related subjects). I also took outside HomeEc, but dropped out after year two.

Basic recipe's just come to me on inspiration, and the baking powder wasn't my first ingredient.

I'll stop adding the baking powder, and we'll see what happens. So far, my dogs have been fine (but you never know).

I'm glad that you have told me this, even though I did not appreciate the "I would not recommend this recipe at all" bit in the beginning.

You're very active on this site, and I should be glad that you have made an effort to help my dogs (and everyone elses) even though you have been less than welcoming to me on this forum. You have a very interesting life and you seem to be very social. I like that! :)

My daughter Jules wants to let you know that it is very cool that you have a horse.

I think its natural to approach baking for our pets like we bake for ourselves. Our pets are like family, so we forget at times that we cannot feed them what we eat. My cat loved kitty treats, but from the time she was a young kitten she was extremely sensitive to foods, so I had to keep her on a very strict diet. So she couldn’t have any kitty treats at all as they made her very sick. We had to keep her on the same brand and type of food, even a change in flavor within the same brand would make her sick.

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know that.

I was just reading this news story and thought about this thread. Even in humans, what we eat can throw our electrolytes out of balance. This of course is an extreme case, but this man died from eating licorice everyday for several weeks. The licorce root contains glycyrrhizic acid, which suppressed this potassium level, which threw his electrolytes out of balance. That in turn caused a heart arrhythmia. :eek:

Ask a Question