Dominican Sweets! - Guaba Rolls with frying cheese

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new to the forum, and to be honest, I am just starting to learn how to bake, I want to share a recipe from my country, a tropical dessert!

You need the following ingredients:

a. 2 cups of flour
b. 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
c. 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
d. 3 teaspoons of cold water
e. 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
f. 1 teaspoon of salt´
g. guaba sweets sticks (to be honest, I don't know where or if you can find it outside DR. I know some Latin Markets have them. You can use any other kind of sweet if you can't find guaba)
. h. 1/4 pounds of frying cheese
i. 1 egg youlk
j. 1 tablespoon of milk

The recipe is for 8 sticks.

Directions
  1. Put the baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, egg yolk, water, 3 tablespoons of oil in a boil and mix it with your hands, until you form an uniform dough. You have to be careful with the dough, don't over handle it! If you feel its too humid, put a little bit of flour or water if it is too dry.
  2. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it there for ten minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 ºC [175 ºC].
  4. In a surface spread with flour, extend the dough with a roller. Roll the dough until its really thin. Cut it in 8 squates of 4" x 4" [10 x 10 cm]. Wrap a guaba sweet stick and a cheese stick in one of the squares. seal the corner with a finger.
  5. Greaseyour baking tray with what is left of the oil.
  6. Mix the yolk with the milk and whip it. "Paint" the rolls with the mix. Bake the rolls until they get brown-gold, that takes up to 15-20 minutes.
  7. Serve and enjoy!
I've it before, the recipe was written by Clara Gonzalez, so you might find it around in Spanish. If you have questions, do not hesitate to post! I want to see your results!

Reaction score
I wish you had included a photo of your guaba rolls. The way I understand the recipe, it is like a guaba flavored cheese roll. I love cheese roll especially the soft which are like croissant in texture. I could finish up to 3 rolls of that kind. But guaba is alien to me although I am thinking about guava which I'm sure is a different thing. But maybe if I have time, I can make a variation of that recipe using another kind of sweet stick other than your guaba.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I kind get guaba sweets here in the UK, what are they like? Are they hard or soft?

Reaction score
Well when it comes to tropical desserts, I flat out just do have not enough of them in my life, so thank you for sharing this. It looks like a good one, but I might need to pick some things up at the store beforehand. I do wish that I could go and get some of those guaba sweets sticks, though, just out of curiosity at this point, but I will have to wait for another day I suppose. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion, the name of the fruit is Guava, as Corzhens pointed out. I was thinking in Spanish as I wrote the post :p. I don't have pictures of mine, but I got one for you pulled out of the web:

guava-rolls-DSC4950.jpg

Becky, they are a mix of both. You can grab them with your hand and it won't get messy, but when you put it in your mouth it'll feel soft. Here's a picture for reference:

dulce-de-guayaba.jpg

I might do mine again on the following weeks, and show you my results.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome @Dove. It's a treat to have another person here from the Caribbean. I am from Barbados. I can't say I know this recipe nor do I know guaba sticks but I am happy to see a recipe from close to home.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing your recipe @Dove. :) We do have a lot of guava fruit trees here in the Philippines but I don't know if I would be able to find guava sticks in the market. There are guava jams here though that have also been sweetened for the lovers of sweets. Could they be a good alternative or can I just pick fresh from a guava tree and sweeten them myself? We have a guava tree in our backyard and I'm thinking on experimenting on that if I can't find the sticks you mentioned. :)

Reaction score
@gracer

I've only tried with the sticks. But if guava is so usual in the Philippines, I bet someone has made some sort of candy with it. I'm trying to see if the people who make those here export them to other parts of the world so that you can enjoy this!

Reaction score
Oh, thank you so much @Dove! :) It does seem like a very good treat especially for someone with a sweet tooth like me. Another thing I like about this sweet treat is the fact that it's made of guava. Even if I'm fond of sweets, I also like the healthier options especially the ones coming from fruits and vegetables. :)

Ask a Question