Donauwelle, different batters?

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm trying to wow some German friends by making a Donauwelle, and I want to overcomplicate things for myself by using different batters as the two layers, (most recipes just use a splinter of the main batter with some cocoa), so I can get a varied mouth feel through the cake and so I can use Dutch process cocoa (which affects leavening) . Is hist even possible or a good idea, and if so what are some considerations I should take?

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm trying to wow some German friends by making a Donauwelle, and I want to overcomplicate things for myself by using different batters as the two layers, (most recipes just use a splinter of the main batter with some cocoa), so I can get a varied mouth feel through the cake and so I can use Dutch process cocoa (which affects leavening) . Is hist even possible or a good idea, and if so what are some considerations I should take?

Cocoa powder is naturally acidic meaning it has a pH around 5 or 6. Water is neutral at pH 7 for reference. Anything below 7 is acidic, anything above 7 is an alkaline.

Dutch Process cocoa is simply cocoa powder that’s been washed with a potassium carbonate solution.

People talk about natural cocoa powder being sharp. But the flavor of the cocoa really depends on the brand. Dutch processing takes the sharp edge off of the natural cocoa powder.

Simply buying Dutch Process cocoa powder doesn’t guarantee quality. You need to know your brands. I prefer Callebaut. But read Stella Parks articles on cocoa powder recommendations

Dutch

Natural

Ask a Question