Don't 'box me for using the box

Reaction score
I am here to confess that 90 % of my baking experience has come from using box recipe. As I said in my introduction, I have been in a very close relationship with "Betty Crocker" and she has never disappointed. :)

I have on the odd occasion attempted something from scratch but wasn't happy most of the few times I tried. My cooking is almost perfect but I can't make the same boast about my baking.

A long time ago though, I heard a story of someone who was preparing cakes for years and receiving loads of compliments without people knowing they were all box cakes. Someone joked that she should have been boxed for preparing only box cakes. With that out of the way, I want to say that I am here to learn as much as I can and hopefully share some knowledge as well.

How do you guys feel about the box cakes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
To be honest, 90% of my baking is boxed mixes also. The other 10% comes from my ideas of trying homemade stuff that usually never turns out like it should but still tastes so good. I can put my all into the homemade and it never turns out yet I can half fast my all to the box mixes and oh my, they come out great! I do add different things to the mixes before baking to spruce it up a bit.

Reaction score
To be honest, 90% of my baking is boxed mixes also. The other 10% comes from my ideas of trying homemade stuff that usually never turns out like it should but still tastes so good. I can put my all into the homemade and it never turns out yet I can half fast my all to the box mixes and oh my, they come out great! I do add different things to the mixes before baking to spruce it up a bit.

I feel like throwing a party. It's such a relief to know I am not the only one mixing it up in a box. I came into the forum feeling a little intimidated because I have not done a lot of baking from scratch.

As a child I always wanted to be a cook but I never felt the same way about baking. Perhaps it had something to do with my not getting the results I wanted when I first tried. Anyway, I will relax a little now and get baking.

Reaction score
To be honest I love box cakes! They always turn out so well! Whenever I try one of those recipes from scratch I'm always nervous, because you need to be so exact with the amount of certain ingredients. Box cakes can never go wrong tho.

Reaction score

I hear what you are saying!!!! Those box cakes are just great and always turn out great!!!!! I would never waste my time making a chocolate cake from scratch again, unless I wanted something less generic. Sadly some box cakes aren't as good as their non boxed version, like for example carrot cakes... nothing beats a carrot cake with actual fresh carrot in it. But I love boxed cakes for most occasions :)

Reaction score
I would say that about 50% of my baking is boxed mixes. I like baking from scratch but sometimes I'm tired and just want something easy that I know will turn out perfect as long as I follow the directions. You can make a boxed cake taste more like a homemade cake by using milk instead of water and melted butter instead of oil.

Reaction score
To be honest I love box cakes! They always turn out so well! Whenever I try one of those recipes from scratch I'm always nervous, because you need to be so exact with the amount of certain ingredients. Box cakes can never go wrong tho.

I am saying a big amen to this. With a box cake I feel like you can NEVER go wrong. I reckon if a person can't get a box cake right something has to be seriously wrong with the person's baking ability. I am big on "quick fixes" so the box cakes work for me.

Then you spoke of being nervous when you attempt a cake from scratch. I can really relate to that. Who wants to be nervous when in the kitchen? Being nervous puts you at a immediate disadvantage. It's a "recipe" for disaster.

I do not like kitchen disasters and I have had one or two when attempting something from scratch. Bad experiences send me running back to the box every time.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
A box mix can be a very good starting place. You can use as a base to create you own recipes. Baking with cake mix is still baking and there is no reason to be ashamed. I was at the grocery store and a cater was buy a case of cake mix to use for her business. She explained that it was more convenient to use cake mix with her own formulations that have to measure everything out buy had each time.

Reaction score
I have never used a box mix, I never tried one either I prefer to bake from scratch. If I was lazy I would rather buy a ready made bake from bakery rather than the box mixes. I am not putting anyone down that uses them either it's just not my thing.:)

Reaction score
I have never used a box mix, I never tried one either I prefer to bake from scratch. If I was lazy I would rather buy a ready made bake from bakery rather than the box mixes. I am not putting anyone down that uses them either it's just not my thing.:)

Redribbon, Redribbon, just when I was feeling I have found my place, you come and burst my bubble:(. Anyway, I recover quickly, so I am going to take my "lazy" self up and get back into my mix box circle of friends I met earlier.

We look forward to getting some expert advice from you so we can produce a whole line of "from scratch" cakes.;) Let's get "cracking".

Reaction score
I have no problem with box cakes, I do a fair deal of my baking that way and they turn out quite nice without being a big hassle! My love of cooking came much earlier and has always been much stronger than my love of baking...I love experimenting with cooking, I love trying things from scratch, but sometimes with baking it seems like more of a hassle to me. It's not as fun. So honestly, whatever works ;).

Reaction score
Wintery Bella you go right ahead and enjoy those boxes dear. If it makes you feel any better I wouldn't ever make my own puff pastry, I always buy the ready rolled one, seems like so much effort making it.
X

Reaction score
Thank you Redribbon. Today I hope to bake a carrot cake and got a suggestion to add some pecans.

Sadly, I can't find any so far. Whatever the case I am going to be trying something today pass or fail. If I am a box cake girl, it follows I have to get any pastries from a box as well. No real fan of pastries so I won't be trying them anytime soon. I am still hoping to get some advice from you about simple cake ideas. And yes. It makes me feel better re your pastry experience :).

Reaction score
I use this recipe for carrot cake, my husband loves it and it's really easy to make, almost as easy as the cake boxes

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/653689

By the way I am no baking expert really, I just got the baking bug last year when we moved house away from work. I was bored not being at work so spent my wintery days baking and enjoyed it as they all turned out as they should have so kept me motivated lol

Reaction score
Thanks Redribbon, I have been here singing the blues today because my box carrot cake has expired. I still think I am going to make it though. Just to test myself. And from what I understand those dates are not to be taken literally.

You might not be an expert in your opinion, but you are definitely more experienced than I am. I see persons posting lots of yummy cakes. I hope to get there soon.

Reaction score
I am saying a big amen to this. With a box cake I feel like you can NEVER go wrong. I reckon if a person can't get a box cake right something has to be seriously wrong with the person's baking ability. I am big on "quick fixes" so the box cakes work for me.

Then you spoke of being nervous when you attempt a cake from scratch. I can really relate to that. Who wants to be nervous when in the kitchen? Being nervous puts you at a immediate disadvantage. It's a "recipe" for disaster.

I do not like kitchen disasters and I have had one or two when attempting something from scratch. Bad experiences send me running back to the box every time.:)

Oh yeah, if someone really messes up a boxed cake, then it's for sure that person has no idea what he or she is doing. I know people like that, by the way. My mom is like that, her cooking skills are so basic, let alone her baking. I love her, but she couldn't bake a boxed cake even if her life depended on it. Hehehe! Never fails for me tho ;) Some recipes are made easier by using a box cake mix, like for example my banana pudding cake! I use a boxed pudding as well ;)

Reaction score
Trellum, you make me laugh.:):):) I hope your mom doesn't use social media or have access to your email and password to see what you are saying about her.

Well I am happy to report I made my carrot cake last night and no injuries have been reported. I know my husband would eat the entire thing. He eats most things so I am not going to use him as a judge. Judging myself, it was quite fine, no lines. I was going to send a picture but the slice I brought to work doesn't look perfect and it's not fancy. I have to wait to see what the chief judge my son says.

Reaction score
Aaahhh good job I am sure your son will enjoy his cake. Now you must try a non box carrot cake recipe, got on be a devil.... i dare you!!!

Reaction score
Trellum, you make me laugh.:):):) I hope your mom doesn't use social media or have access to your email and password to see what you are saying about her.

Well I am happy to report I made my carrot cake last night and no injuries have been reported. I know my husband would eat the entire thing. He eats most things so I am not going to use him as a judge. Judging myself, it was quite fine, no lines. I was going to send a picture but the slice I brought to work doesn't look perfect and it's not fancy. I have to wait to see what the chief judge my son says.

Hahaha, don't worry, she is well aware of that :p But yeah, no worries, she will never read this ;) Why am I so sure? Well, for starters she doesn't speak or read a word of english ;)

Awesome! Was it from scratch or boxed? I'm dying to bake a carrot cake soon as well, but I'll have to settle for a lemon pie tomorrow ;) Let us know what your son said ;)

Reaction score
QUOTE="Trellum, post: 17103, member: 143"]Hahaha, don't worry, she is well aware of that :p But yeah, no worries, she will never read this ;) Why am I so sure? Well, for starters she doesn't speak or read a word of english ;)

Awesome! Was it from scratch or boxed? I'm dying to bake a carrot cake soon as well, but I'll have to settle for a lemon pie tomorrow ;) Let us know what your son said ;)[/QUOTE]

:( My son did not even taste the cake. I am so so so disappointed. He says he'll never eat carrot cake. I know he's a chocolate cake person, but I thought I'd try something different and I had picked up the box cake a good while ago. I figured now I am here talking cakes and all, it would be a good time to "whip it up".

Anyway I am not letting him get me down. I brought a few slices for a youngster who helps me out in the store sometimes and he made it his business to come back and tell me how good it was. He's a little crazy but his taste buds work well:). Between him and my husband, it will be gone by the end of today. I am trying not to eat much as I am borderline diabetic and a little heavier than I would like.

Ask a Question