DON'T THROW THAT AWAY!!!

Reaction score
Thats ok, but you have to watch what you feed pets. They cannot eat a lot of "human food".
Always check with your vet to see what your pet can and cant eat.

I had a friend back when, who had a pet dog. He fed that dog table scraps every day.
After about 5 years or so, his dog had a massive coronary and died. The vet said it was from being fed table scraps for so many years.

Table scrap treats once in a while is one thing....doing it on a constant basis is another.
Just be careful.

That's correct, there was a day when my mom gave some fish entrails to my cats and they were throwing it all up minutes later, we actually noticed it was because of that due to my mom doing it over and over again, she was going to kill my cats :d

Reaction score
Well wasting food just happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I am always the person who will find any use for leftovers, and it is just the way that I was brought up. That said, I am not as creative as I should be here, and so this is very useful information. Thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
Well wasting food just happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I am always the person who will find any use for leftovers, and it is just the way that I was brought up. That said, I am not as creative as I should be here, and so this is very useful information. Thank you for sharing.

Well, take a tip from the old Southern people here............
If you can't find a use for it, dig a hole and use it for compost.
I remember people using coffee grounds, chopped up corn husks, used tea leaves, old food.......dig a hole near some fruit trees, shrubs, or vegetable plants, and use the stuff for fertilizer.

Reaction score
Love the tips y'all have! I hate wasting food.

I messed up muffins recently. They were so wet in the middle no matter how long I baked them. I crumbled them and mixed in some old-fashioned oats. Baked on a low temp in the oven until dried, and my muffins became granola.

I cooked millet with chickpeas and broccoli. My husband wasn't a fan (he said, "where's the meat?"), and it was more leftovers than I could eat. I pureed the mixture, added some flour, extra seasonings, and baking powder, and baked the mixture as crackers.

Peelings, like tomato and apple, often get dried and processed into a powder. They can be used as a substitute for a couple of teaspoons of flour in baked goods, or a few shakes can add extra nutrition to other meals.

Reaction score
Good idea I forgot about!!!

Vegetable and fruit peels!

If you are like me, and wash and clean your veggies and fruits that have edible skins, you can use those peels for other uses!

*Put peels into a food processor and puree until smooth. This can be used as flavoring for something, or you can just add it back to whatever dish you are using the fruit/veggies for. For example, if you are making an apple pie, you can puree the apple peels and then add to the pie mixture! Zucchini peels can be pureed and added to the Zucchini casserole!

*Puree peels with fruit juice for your own energy drink!

*Peels can also be dried out for treats...either for fruit eating pets like rabbits, or for anyone who likes dried fruits and veggies.

*Peels can be finely chopped and put into muffins, cookies, biscuits, pancakes, etc.....

*Potato peels that have been cleaned, can be fried into chips, or pureed and placed into potato soup. Most rabbits love raw potato peels.

Using peels usually won't give much flavor, but you are using them and getting the better part of the fruit or veggie, as the skins are supposed to have most of the nutrients that a fruit or veggie contains.

*Non-edible peels like limes, lemons, oranges, and grapefruit can be chopped up and dried and used in potpourri. There are some videos on YouTube for making your own potpourri.

*You can also use cleaned citrus peels to make your own zest for recipes. Grind the cleaned rinds until they are extremely fine, put them in a plastic air-tight baggie, and then put them in an air-tight container and you can place in fridge or freezer.

*A piece of citrus rind can also make your garbage disposal smell good. Just put a small piece of rind in there and run the cold water on low, and turn on the disposal for a couple of seconds.

*Banana peels can be chopped up and used in fertilizer.

*Here are some other uses for banana peels:
http://www.prevention.com/health/life-hacks-using-banana-peels

And always remember, whatever is left over can still be used for fertilizer. Even for houseplants!

Reaction score
Used oils, fats, lards.................

Some oils, fats, and lards that we cook in can be used for other things.

Depending on what kind of oil or lard it is, will depend on what you can do with it.

Most vegetable oils can be filtered a few times over for use again and again, as long as they aren't burned.....until the oil starts to turn dark. If you cook something like fish in oil, be sure and use that oil for fish again, or use it for something you won't mind having a fish taste to it.

Nut oils, like peanut oil, can be filtered a few times and then used in older diesel engines.

Seed oils like olive oils can be filtered and used as lamp oil or some farmers use it as different kinds of ointment on animals, to help keep mites away.

Some fats and lards can be added (in VERY SMALL AMOUNTS) to animal food for health reasons.

Some oils can be filtered for lubrication around the house. Again, depending on what it is, will depend on what you can do with it.

Some fats and lards can be added to live stock foods. Some farmers also use the oils and fats to mix with poisons to kill vermin or insects.

If you research "other uses for used cooking oil", you should find plenty of interesting things online.

Ask a Question