Dough keeps sticking

Reaction score
Every time I try to make bread, I have to knead my dough for at least 30 min longer than the recipes and had to add a lot more flour. Am I doing something wrong? I use all purpose flour and instant yeast btw

Reaction score
We need to see the full recipe to understand what is happening to your dough. Having to use a lot more flour would suggest a dough that has too much hydration or is poorly mixed but without a recipe it is hard to troubleshoot. PS what does a lot of flour mean?

Reaction score
We need to see the full recipe to understand what is happening to your dough. Having to use a lot more flour would suggest a dough that has too much hydration or is poorly mixed but without a recipe it is hard to troubleshoot. PS what does a lot of flour mean?
https://www.melskitchencafe.com/homemade-pita-bread/
This is what I tried. The dough just would not ball up at all. I ended up adding probably a whole extra cup of apf and it took me 38 min to get it to look at least like a ball. I figured that adding water would make it more liquid and sticky.

Reaction score
This is what I tried. The dough just would not ball up at all. I ended up adding probably a whole extra cup of apf and it took me 38 min to get it to look at least like a ball. I figured that adding water would make it more liquid and sticky.
Is it a problem with the water temperature? I don't have a thermometer so I just used my finger to feel if its too hot or not.

Reaction score
Every time I try to make bread, I have to knead my dough for at least 30 min longer than the recipes and had to add a lot more flour. Am I doing something wrong? I use all purpose flour and instant yeast btw

Recipes for home bakers incorrectly instruct the use of flour to knead. No flour should be used.

This is because home bakers for the most part refuse to follow instructions no matter how clear and concise the instructions.

Home bakers will just do whatever they want because they just want to be done with things. And it’s not just kneading dough. When you roll dough, just a tiny pinch of flour should be used.

Baking is science, the chemical reaction of all the ingredients to time in temperature. When you add a bench flour in kneading or rolling you’ve significantly changed the ratio of flour to all other ingredients. So you totally changed the recipe.

The proper way to knead dough is no flour.

Reaction score
I just made it, the dough balled up in about 3 minutes,
I wanted a slightly softer dough so added a splash more water and mixed another 3 minutes,
total mix time was 5 minutes.

Recipe calls for 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour.
I started with the full amount of flour because its easier to add more water than add more flour.

Reaction score
After turning the camera off I decided to pull the dough and divide into 6, leave for 10 minutes and roll them out.
then proof .
If the first one fails to puff up, they're probably underproofed, give the others another 10 minutes....try again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question