Doughnut Glaze

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

My first post here..
Is there a secret for a really good glaze that sets on donuts? Usually I use powdered sugar, hot melted butter and hot milk but sometimes it won't set, is it because I use too much butter? Any tips or tricks for a glaze to set?

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

My first post here..
Is there a secret for a really good glaze that sets on donuts? Usually I use powdered sugar, hot melted butter and hot milk but sometimes it won't set, is it because I use too much butter? Any tips or tricks for a glaze to set?
gelatin.

bloom 1/2 oz gelatin in cold water, warm it up to dissolve gelatin and add 2lb 6 oz powdered sugar, whip smooth.
Dip donuts whilst still hot and keep glaze warm to use.

Reaction score
gelatin.

bloom 1/2 oz gelatin in cold water, warm it up to dissolve gelatin and add 2lb 6 oz powdered sugar, whip smooth.
Dip donuts whilst still hot and keep glaze warm to use.
Hey. I saw your comments on glaze. Just gelatin and sugar no butter? Is granulated gelatin ok?

Reaction score
its a commercial formula, add warm water to desired consistency.
Warm it up to reuse.
No butter. Yes to powdered gelatin, I prefer it to sheets.

I can see this needs simplifying.
use a large stainless bowl if you have one.
Put the gelatin in the bowl with just enough cold water to wet it.
Put the bowl on a LOW flame and stir with a whip to melt the gelatin, keep the bowl moving to prevent the gelatin from scorching, it only take a few seconds to melt it if you keep the bowl moving and continually stir with a whip.
Pull off the heat and add water, try a cup or so, add all the sugar and stir with whip to work the lumps out, once the lumps are gone add the rest of the water to a thickness like heavy cream. Works best warm and with warm donuts.
If its too thin you can always double dip.
Keep the bowl moving on the flame or it will scorch and turn bitter.
The benefit to this way is its quick and theres a minimum dirty utensils.

Last edited:
Reaction score
its a commercial formula, add warm water to desired consistency.
Warm it up to reuse.
No butter. Yes to powdered gelatin, I prefer it to sheets.

I can see this needs simplifying.
use a large stainless bowl if you have one.
Put the gelatin in the bowl with just enough cold water to wet it.
Put the bowl on a LOW flame and stir with a whip to melt the gelatin, keep the bowl moving to prevent the gelatin from scorching, it only take a few seconds to melt it if you keep the bowl moving and continually stir with a whip.
Pull off the heat and add water, try a cup or so, add all the sugar and stir with whip to work the lumps out, once the lumps are gone add the rest of the water to a thickness like heavy cream. Works best warm and with warm donuts.
If its too thin you can always double dip.
Keep the bowl moving on the flame or it will scorch and turn bitter.
The benefit to this way is its quick and theres a minimum dirty utensils.
Hi! Thank you for this extremely helpful post, can I ask if this procedure would work just as well with milk? Because my glaze recipe does not have water but only milk. Can I bloom (and eventually heat) the gelatin powder in milk? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for this extremely helpful post, can I ask if this procedure would work just as well with milk? Because my glaze recipe does not have water but only milk. Can I bloom (and eventually heat) the gelatin powder in milk? Thanks!
I would try it. See what happens.

Ask a Question