Need Urgent Help with Doughnut Making

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Two more questions, if you don’t mind.

1) my doughnuts get bubbly in the fryer. There are air bubbles that form and if I don’t pop them before I flip the doughnuts, they blow up when the other side hits the oil. What could cause that? Too much yeast? Currently using 1.25% (bakers percentage).

2) I struggle with oval shaped doughnuts. That’s why I rest the dough after it’s sheeted in order to relax it before I cut the doughnuts. Any tips on how to get all of my doughnuts to stay circular after they proof?

Reaction score
The yeast depends on a lot of factors; flour protein content; fermentation; preferment. It’s complicated you can’t just put out the percentage of the yeast out there with no other information. Do you have any professional training? Beginning to suspect that you don’t. And I’m beginning to wonder if you actually have a business because I can’t imagine with all these problems that you’re actually selling a product at this point.

Symmetry problems are caused by:
  • Over fermented dough
    Overproofed dough (temperature too high)
  • Too much flour in rolling and/or cutting
  • Excessive rolling
  • Poor cutting technique

Reaction score
The yeast depends on a lot of factors; flour protein content; fermentation; preferment. It’s complicated you can’t just put out the percentage of the yeast out there with no other information. Do you have any professional training? Beginning to suspect that you don’t. And I’m beginning to wonder if you actually have a business because I can’t imagine with all these problems that you’re actually selling a product at this point.

Symmetry problems are caused by:
  • Over fermented dough
    Overproofed dough (temperature too high)
  • Too much flour in rolling and/or cutting
  • Excessive rolling
  • Poor cutting technique
I don't have professional training, but I do have a shop. To a certain extent I'm being a perfectionist, but these problems bother me quite a bit and I'm just trying to find solutions. I appreciate your suggestions!

This bubble issue is still driving me crazy. I've extended proof times but I either still get the bubble, or the donut is over proofed. I'm beginning to wonder if I might be making an error earlier on in the fermentation? I also get some bubbles on the uncooked side of the donut and I wonder if this is a clue?

IMG_6672[1].JPG

Also, I make a vegan raised donut and it has been coming out almost completely hollow on the inside. I proofed for both 45 minutes and 75 minutes and both resulted in a similar outcome. It's so frustrating and I just can't figure out what is going wrong.

Reaction score
That looks bad. I’m going to take this convo private.

NOTE: I AM NOT ANSWERING ANY MORE DOUGHNUT QUESTIONS FOR OTHER POSTERS ON THIS THREAD OR ANY OTHER THREADS EXCEPT THOSE WHO I CURRENTLY WORK WITH ON THIS FORUM. PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME. I AM NOT MAKING AN EXCEPTIONS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That looks bad. I’m going to take this convo private.

NOTE: I AM NOT ANSWERING ANY MORE DOUGHNUT QUESTIONS FOR OTHER POSTERS ON THIS THREAD OR ANY OTHER THREADS EXCEPT THOSE WHO I CURRENTLY WORK WITH ON THIS FORUM. PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME. I AM NOT MAKING AN EXCEPTIONS.

Hi Norcalbaker, I actually do have a question regarding the bulk ferment. Would you be willing to message me privately?

Reaction score
Please if the yeast used to make the dough for the doughnut is over proofed and the yeast is dead.... what can i do

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I don't have professional training, but I do have a shop. To a certain extent I'm being a perfectionist, but these problems bother me quite a bit and I'm just trying to find solutions. I appreciate your suggestions!

This bubble issue is still driving me crazy. I've extended proof times but I either still get the bubble, or the donut is over proofed. I'm beginning to wonder if I might be making an error earlier on in the fermentation? I also get some bubbles on the uncooked side of the donut and I wonder if this is a clue?

View attachment 4036

Also, I make a vegan raised donut and it has been coming out almost completely hollow on the inside. I proofed for both 45 minutes and 75 minutes and both resulted in a similar outcome. It's so frustrating and I just can't figure out what is going wrong.
I have this problem as well, hoping to see if there was any update to this solution.

Reaction score
without knowing what recipe and method used, its difficult to have an intelligent conversation.
I’ve tested multiple recipes and methods and getting similar results, so I know it’s down to the proofing- I’ve been testing settings on the proofer and proofing different times, so curious to know if there was any solution to that problem

Reaction score
I’ve tested multiple recipes and methods and getting similar results, so I know it’s down to the proofing- I’ve been testing settings on the proofer and proofing different times, so curious to know if there was any solution to that problem
Indeed, same here. Did you end up finding any solution?

Ask a Question