Dragon Fruit Cake

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I am fond of healthy food and healthy cooking so I thought of looking for a good recipe for creating a cake out of a dragon fruit. When it comes to health benefits, dragon fruit is one of my all time favorite fruits. It is rich in Vitamin C, B vitamins, a good source of antioxidants and many other health benefits. So I searched and found this recipe which really looks so delicious.

Here's what I found, I hope you guys like it:

http://www.rainbownourishments.com/pink-dragon-fruit-layer-cake/

Reaction score
That cake looks GORGEOUS! Would you believe I've only had dragonfruit once in my life? I was on vacation in Singapore and the hotel I was staying at had it as part of their breakfast buffet!

I love the beautiful pink color to it - it just looks so unique! I love cakes with different layers so I think I'd really like this one.

Reaction score
What a coincidence. I just picked the first harvest of our dragon fruit in the backyard (we have a bigger plant in the front yard). Our dragon fruit is the purple variety which is very sweet. But I am curious with that cake. I wonder how the dragon would taste when made into a cake. This looks like a challenge to my husband because he is fond of experimenting. Our recipe of the cassava cake that I had posted in another thread is his original.

Here is the pic of our dragon fruit -
IMG_2992 ripe dragon.jpg

Reaction score
What a coincidence. I just picked the first harvest of our dragon fruit in the backyard (we have a bigger plant in the front yard). Our dragon fruit is the purple variety which is very sweet. But I am curious with that cake. I wonder how the dragon would taste when made into a cake. This looks like a challenge to my husband because he is fond of experimenting. Our recipe of the cassava cake that I had posted in another thread is his original.

Here is the pic of our dragon fruit - View attachment 828

So cool that you have it growing in your yard!! Do you have any other fruits growing?

Reaction score
@cupcakechef Don't worry, I myself have just tasted my first dragon fruit several weeks ago. :) Dragon fruit was also just a rare commodity here in my city before but ever since more farmers adapted the concept of tending them, it has now increased in availability in our local markets. It is still pretty expensive though compared to other regular fruits in the market.

@Corzhens You're so lucky to have a dragon fruit planted in your backyard. I would also love to plant one but they say it doesn't grow in a cool environment.

Reaction score
So cool that you have it growing in your yard!! Do you have any other fruits growing?

This may be an off to the topic but I have to reply because I want to brag about our fruits. Yeah, we have a mango tree that is currently fruiting, a star fruit planted in a big rubber pot that is also fruiting but is off season right now, 2 trees of sugar apple with lots of fruits, mulberry for novelty, lime trees and calamansi (a small citrus), our grape vine in the backyard has 2 bunches of grapes, its first fruitig.

@gracer, I think you are right that the dragon fruit is a tropical plant. It is a succulent and belongs to the cactus family. What we have is the purple variety which is very sweet. The other variety is the white which is not very sweet and good for salads... and probably for baking as well.

Reaction score
Well I am definitely jealous of anyone who gets to have dragon fruit anything with any sort of regularity. It is a delicacy here, or at least it is very rare and you just cannot get it anywhere, and so needless to say I do not have all that much experience with it in cooking. Also, @Corzhens - you are right in wanting to brag about that fruit collection...I am very jealous of you there. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
@Corzhens I also saw those white colored dragon fruits in pictures online. I thought all along that they had the same taste as the purple ones. I really love the taste of the purple variety because they're have just the right amount of sweetness, not too sweet and not too bland either. I really envy you for having one in your backyard. :)

Ask a Question