Dry lemon cake makes great trifle sponge!

Reaction score
I tried a new recipe for a lemon loaf cake on Saturday, and even with the drizzle, it was little on the dry side for me. What intrigued me about the recipe was that it had nutmeg in it, and this is not something I've come across in a lemon cake before. The cake did have a lovely flavor, and maybe it was my oven a bit too high or something, but it was just dry. :( I hate waste, so I immediately though of trifle, using the cake as sponge. I soaked the cake slices with limencello, and added canned peaches, custard and cream on top. Sounds a bit OTT but I took it to my mother in laws yesterday, and it was demolished by all 8 of us after lunch! I'm so glad that the cake didn't go to waste after all, and I never knew the limencello liquer would work so well in a trifle.

How do you use your baking disasters up, or do they get relegated to the bin? Some of mine do actually make it into the bin at times. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
My daughter and I still eat my baking disasters because we're a low income family and can't afford to waste food.
Most baking disasters can be turned into bread pudding, trifle or croutons. Or you can make crumbs out of them in a food processor and use those cookie/cake crumbs as layers in some kind of icebox dessert.

Reaction score
Great save you should never thouw away food tha can still be eaten. Somtimes you get something even better than the original recipe when your cakes don't turn out the way they should.

Reaction score
My baking disasters go straight to the garbage if really bad off. Sometimes when I make my no bake cookies and they don't set, my kids and I will just scoop them up with a spoon off the wax paper and eat them. Otherwise, I don't think of trying to salvage by making another recipe with what I had.

Reaction score
Great save you should never thouw away food tha can still be eaten. Somtimes you get something even better than the original recipe when your cakes don't turn out the way they should.

It's very rare for me to throw something away or waste it - even the birds have been known to benefit from a bad bake! :D I know what you mean about ending up with something better; I've occasionally substituted ingredients for something else, and things have ended up better than the original recipe.

Happy little accidents. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question