Dump Cakes

Reaction score
What exactly are dump cakes? I've heard a lot about them lately but haven't really figured it out. I'm not big on difficult recipes but if you have an easy dump cake for me to try, I'd like that, thanks.

Reaction score
Dump cakes are usually a combination of canned fruit, pie filling or sometimes fresh fruit and cake mix. The fruit is usally drained, and then poured into a baking dish. Next, people usually "dump" a box of cake mix on top of the fruit. All recipes are different, but some call for butter on top of the cake mix as well. When the cake is baked, the cake mix bakes like a nice crusty crunchy topping for the fruit. (Kind of like a cobbler) You can do all different sorts of flavors. You can use a wide variety of fruits and flavors of cake mixes.
Dump cakes are pretty popular to make with children in the kitchen because they are incredibly easy to make and they require very little work! Plus, there is no measuring required!
One recipe I like to use for dump cakes is for black forest cake.
I use a can of cherry pie filling, 1 can of pitted cherries and a chocolate cake mix. (Sometimes I add chocolate chips as well)
Preheat the oven to 375. In a baking dish, pour the cherry pie filling and the pitted cherries in. Next add the chocolate chips if you would like. Finally, pour the chocolate cake mix on top. Bake for about 40 min or so.
Thats it! It is very simple, and incredibly delicious!

Reaction score
I haven't had a dump cake in years! They are actually my dad's favorite kind of cakes to have. He usually likes cherry or strawberry ones the best.

Reaction score
I haven't had a dump cake in years! They are actually my dad's favorite kind of cakes to have. He usually likes cherry or strawberry ones the best.
I love strawberries! I like to use fresh cut up strawberries, strawberry pie filling, and a yellow cake mix. It is so delicious! I like to sprinkle it with a little sugar, or top it with whipped cream.
I also think drizzling it with chocolate sryup would be amazing!

Reaction score
This is actually one of my very favorite kinds of dessert and something that my mother has made for as long as I can remember.

She always did hers with a can of cherry pie filling and a can of crushed pineapple (drained), sprinkled over with a box of white cake mix and then topped with slices of butter over the top of the cake mix.

This discussion is really making me want to make one right now.

Reaction score
I've never actually had one of these cakes... Makes me want to give them a try. The black forest 1 sounds especially yummy, thanks.

Reaction score
I have hear and read a lot about dump cakes recently. I love the idea of an easy recipe that results in a tasty desert.

I have heard mixed reviews though. One of my coworkers said she tried a recipe for one that did not work out. I will have to try the ones mentioned here and let her know that they are not all terrible.

Reaction score
I have wondered what dump cakes were too but now I see why they get their name. They do sound easy, and yummy! I can also see all the possibilities in cake-fruit combinations. Chocolate/cherries, vanilla/tropical fruit, even something like a strawberry boxed cake with strawberries? Yum! Thanks for answering this question and giving me more baking ideas for the future...!

Reaction score
Well I had never heard or read anything about dump cakes. The name interested me and here I am, reading about what it is. And now that I know what it is, it sounds good and very simple to make.

Ask a Question