Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix

Reaction score
I need to make a vintage cake. However, you all know that oz in Duncan Hines is now only 15.5 oz. I need the 18.25 oz. So I bought 2 boxes. How much can I take from the second box to bring first box up to 18.25 oz?

Reaction score
I need to make a vintage cake. However, you all know that oz in Duncan Hines is now only 15.5 oz. I need the 18.25 oz. So I bought 2 boxes. How much can I take from the second box to bring first box up to 18.25 oz?
Just because the box contains less mix by weight does NOT mean the cake it produces is smaller. It could’ve been reformulated with emulsifiers and dough conditioners that create a greater expansion. Also depending on the type of flour that is used, additional rise can be achieved.

Also they could have removed and/or changed an emulsifier that has a different weight from one they are currently using.

So the weight of the mix doesn’t necessarily mean it is going to make a smaller portion. Just be aware of that.

Assuming there is no reformulation, and its an actual reduction of the same cake mix that requires the same ingredients to make, you’ll need to adjust (increase) the ingredients to account for the increase of cake mixed used.

Find the difference in weight between the two boxes:

18.25 - 15.5 = 2.75

The difference in weight:
2.75 or 2 3/4 oz

But since you are using more cake mix, you need to use more ingredients. The ingredients have to be increased by the same percentage of the cake mix.

Find the percentage of increased cake mix

15.5 ÷ 18.25 = 0.849

100 - 84.9 = 15.1

To check that, multiply 18.25 x .151 = 2.755 or 2 3/4 oz

The difference is 15.1%.

So added 2 3/4 oz to make 18.25 oz.

Increase the ingredients (water, eggs, oil) by 15.1%

Just weigh the amount of each ingredient (water, eggs, and oil) in grams that you would use for the one box, then multiply that weight by .151. The product will be the additional amount of that ingredient to add.

For example, if 3 eggs weigh 156g

156 x .151 = 23.55

Round up 23.55 to 24.

156 + 24

180g eggs is needed.

So lightly beat 4 eggs, then weigh out 180g eggs.

If this is an event cake I would highly recommend you run a test cake to see what it produces before you make any adjusts. Knowing what exactly you are working with is Important, especially if you are going to be making an event cake.

Reaction score
Just because the box contains less mix by weight does NOT mean the cake it produces is smaller. It could’ve been reformulated with emulsifiers and dough conditioners that create a greater expansion. Also depending on the type of flour that is used, additional rise can be achieved.

Also they could have removed and/or changed an emulsifier that has a different weight from one they are currently using.

So the weight of the mix doesn’t necessarily mean it is going to make a smaller portion. Just be aware of that.

Assuming there is no reformulation, and its an actual reduction of the same cake mix that requires the same ingredients to make, you’ll need to adjust (increase) the ingredients to account for the increase of cake mixed used.

Find the difference in weight between the two boxes:

18.25 - 15.5 = 2.75

The difference in weight:
2.75 or 2 3/4 oz

But since you are using more cake mix, you need to use more ingredients. The ingredients have to be increased by the same percentage of the cake mix.

Find the percentage of increased cake mix

15.5 ÷ 18.25 = 0.849

100 - 84.9 = 15.1

To check that, multiply 18.25 x .151 = 2.755 or 2 3/4 oz

The difference is 15.1%.

So added 2 3/4 oz to make 18.25 oz.

Increase the ingredients (water, eggs, oil) by 15.1%

Just weigh the amount of each ingredient (water, eggs, and oil) in grams that you would use for the one box, then multiply that weight by .151. The product will be the additional amount of that ingredient to add.

For example, if 3 eggs weigh 156g

156 x .151 = 23.55

Round up 23.55 to 24.

156 + 24

180g eggs is needed.

So lightly beat 4 eggs, then weigh out 180g eggs.

If this is an event cake I would highly recommend you run a test cake to see what it produces before you make any adjusts. Knowing what exactly you are working with is Important, especially if you are going to be making an event cake.

Reaction score
I have definitely found a difference in quality in my baked goods since Duncan Hines has changed the weight of it's mixes. (Cakes did not rise as high and somtimes fell especially in my doctored recipes as I rarely use a mix as is)I have incested in a quality scale and I simply add the amount from the second package to equal 18.25 ounces. It is worth the investment and I find myself using it for more recipes that use weight measurements . There are many old fashioned European style recipes that require weighing of ingredients

Reaction score
I have definitely found a difference in quality in my baked goods since Duncan Hines has changed the weight of it's mixes. (Cakes did not rise as high and somtimes fell especially in my doctored recipes as I rarely use a mix as is)I have incested in a quality scale and I simply add the amount from the second package to equal 18.25 ounces. It is worth the investment and I find myself using it for more recipes that use weight measurements . There are many old fashioned European style recipes that require weighing of ingredients
I only bake by metric weight. All professional baking in the US is done in metic weight as well. I’ve done culinary training in Italy, and have worked with French and German bakers in the US, and they all use metric weight. I can’t think of any European country that uses volume measurement.

Ask a Question