Dutch vs. Natural cocoa

Reaction score
Help. I have 2 cannisters of cocoa, one Dutch and one Natural. I had little sticky notes identifying which was which, and they have fallen off, and now I don't remember which is which. Is there a way to determine which is Dutch and which is Natural? Both cocoas look exactly the same color, I know that Dutch is supposed to be darker, but that is not the case here. Thanks!

Reaction score
Help. I have 2 cannisters of cocoa, one Dutch and one Natural. I had little sticky notes identifying which was which, and they have fallen off, and now I don't remember which is which. Is there a way to determine which is Dutch and which is Natural? Both cocoas look exactly the same color, I know that Dutch is supposed to be darker, but that is not the case here. Thanks!

bake two small test cakes. Even though they look the same in the canisters, when they bake they will bake up significantly different in color

Reaction score
I did my test baking today, scaled down 2 different cake recipes and baked them up. Sure enough, one was pale brown, the other black brown, scaled to use the same amount of cocoa powder. Mystery solved! Many thanks to Norcalbaker59 for that suggestion.

Reaction score
I did my test baking today, scaled down 2 different cake recipes and baked them up. Sure enough, one was pale brown, the other black brown, scaled to use the same amount of cocoa powder. Mystery solved! Many thanks to Norcalbaker59 for that suggestion.

You are welcome @MrsM. Glad you were able to sort them out. Happy baking.

Reaction score
Have you tried smell? To me, Dutch processed has a wonderful, deeper, darker chocolate smell.

Ask a Question