Easiest Bread Recipe for Beginners?

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if anyone could help me out.
I've made some deserts, occasionally cookies or pie, but I've never really made bread before. I just need a really simple recipe to use as first try. Later, if I'm any good at it, I may try things like bread with herbs and cheese and other such.

I want to also note, however, that sadly I do not own a bread maker. And currently, I can't afford it either. I have to make it fully by hand. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I've never made bread outside my machine. I do know a neighbor makes honey white bread without a machine and its so yummy. I'll see if I can't get her recipe.

Reaction score
My basic recipe is
1 tsp yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
about 2.5 cups of flour.
I tbsp. oil

I mix the first 4 ingredients and add 1/2 cup of flour, and let it sit for half an hour for the yeast to get bubbly. Then I mix in the oi andl the rest of the flour. I use my kitchen aid with a dough hook, but this is a small batch and can easily be mixed by hand and thne kneaded.

Then the dough it put in an oiled bowl, turned over so there is oil on the top, covered with a towel and left to rise until double.
Then punch the dough down, shape into loaves, cover with a towel and let rise until double.

I bake it at 350 for about 30 min.

From this basic recipe I can turn out just about any kind of bread I want. The flour can have some wheat, or rye, or spelt, etc, I can add seeds of various kinds, herbs, switch out the sugar for honey, molasses, etc.

If I want focaccia instead of putting it in a bowl to rise the first time, I put it in a cast iron pan, well oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal. Press to fill the bottom of the pan. Let it rise until double, poke it with my fingers every few inches then oil the top (olive oil works best) Let it rise another 10 min then bake at 350 for half hour. You an add olives, cheeses, onions, etc to this, whatever you are in the mood for.

Reaction score
I have made a bread similar to this, I found a recipe for bread on YouTube that seemed very basic, but it had milk. After you activate the yeast in about 1/4 cup of water I believe it was about 1-2 cups of milk. Turned out well, maybe a little denser than yours (I used whole milk)?. We are trying at my house to replace white bread from the store. It all is so tasteless and sponge like. Still looking for that perfect recipe, I will try yours, thank you.

Reaction score
Try the below one. It may help.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole rye flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup molasses
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup soaked seedless raisins

Sift together the cornmeal, flours, soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Any bran that remains in the sifter can be included in the flour mixture. Combine the molasses and buttermilk, add them to the dry ingredients, and stir until the flour is just dampened. Then beat the batter for one minute (mix in the raisins with the last couple of stirs).

Pour the dough into well buttered molds (13 ounce nut tins do nicely) until the cans are two thirds full. Cover the containers with their lids, or stretch foil over the tops and punch a few holes in the covering to allow moisture to escape.

Place the cakes in a steamer or, if you don't have one, improvise by setting a rack in a kettle, covering the bottom of the pan with boiling water, and arranging the molds on the stand. (Since I had neither steamer nor rack, I stacked several layers of chopsticks in my pot as a support for the containers. It worked fine!) Cover the kettle with a tight lid and keep the water bubbling. Add more liquid if the first lot boils away.

Steam the bread for 60 to 70 minutes, or until it feels springy when pressed. When the loaves are done, let them cool and remove them from the molds.

Reaction score
These are great! I am going to try them. I've tried my hand at bread before, and for some reason have always had issues with it rising. I think it was because my last house was very "drafty." We will see!

Reaction score
I tried making my own bread before, and every time, it just came out terrible. Not only that, I absolutely hated trying to make bread. The cinnamon rolls came out a little better, but they were awful, too.
Finally, I found a cheap breadmaker at the thrift store, and after that, my bread came out edible. I think I was just not made to be a bread baker.
My husband makes home made bread, and his bread is just totally awesome, and he loves making it; so now when we have bread that is home made, he usually makes it.

Reaction score
My basic recipe is
1 tsp yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
about 2.5 cups of flour.
I tbsp. oil

I mix the first 4 ingredients and add 1/2 cup of flour, and let it sit for half an hour for the yeast to get bubbly. Then I mix in the oi andl the rest of the flour. I use my kitchen aid with a dough hook, but this is a small batch and can easily be mixed by hand and thne kneaded.

Then the dough it put in an oiled bowl, turned over so there is oil on the top, covered with a towel and left to rise until double.
Then punch the dough down, shape into loaves, cover with a towel and let rise until double.

I bake it at 350 for about 30 min.

From this basic recipe I can turn out just about any kind of bread I want. The flour can have some wheat, or rye, or spelt, etc, I can add seeds of various kinds, herbs, switch out the sugar for honey, molasses, etc.

If I want focaccia instead of putting it in a bowl to rise the first time, I put it in a cast iron pan, well oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal. Press to fill the bottom of the pan. Let it rise until double, poke it with my fingers every few inches then oil the top (olive oil works best) Let it rise another 10 min then bake at 350 for half hour. You an add olives, cheeses, onions, etc to this, whatever you are in the mood for.
Thank you! That does seem like easy enough recipe, I think I may try it out soon:))
Try the below one. It may help.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole rye flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup molasses
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup soaked seedless raisins

Sift together the cornmeal, flours, soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Any bran that remains in the sifter can be included in the flour mixture. Combine the molasses and buttermilk, add them to the dry ingredients, and stir until the flour is just dampened. Then beat the batter for one minute (mix in the raisins with the last couple of stirs).

Pour the dough into well buttered molds (13 ounce nut tins do nicely) until the cans are two thirds full. Cover the containers with their lids, or stretch foil over the tops and punch a few holes in the covering to allow moisture to escape.

Place the cakes in a steamer or, if you don't have one, improvise by setting a rack in a kettle, covering the bottom of the pan with boiling water, and arranging the molds on the stand. (Since I had neither steamer nor rack, I stacked several layers of chopsticks in my pot as a support for the containers. It worked fine!) Cover the kettle with a tight lid and keep the water bubbling. Add more liquid if the first lot boils away.

Steam the bread for 60 to 70 minutes, or until it feels springy when pressed. When the loaves are done, let them cool and remove them from the molds.
This sounds interesting, but I am not in the States anymore, and I have no clue what our version of buttermilk would be, or molasses for that matter...

Reaction score
A simple substitute for buttermilk is a cup of milk with a tsp of lemon juice.

From my basic recipe I vary it greatly, changing flours, adding seeds, herbs, and if I want hamburger or hot dog buns I put 1/4 cup dried milk powder. It makes the bread softer.

Sweeteners are another thing I often change. Molasses, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, they all work, and each gives the bread a slightly different flavor.

Reaction score
A simple substitute for buttermilk is a cup of milk with a tsp of lemon juice.

From my basic recipe I vary it greatly, changing flours, adding seeds, herbs, and if I want hamburger or hot dog buns I put 1/4 cup dried milk powder. It makes the bread softer.

Sweeteners are another thing I often change. Molasses, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, they all work, and each gives the bread a slightly different flavor.
Thank you! I never really even tried buttermilk, so that is really useful.
I am having a crazy week, but next week I am definitely trying this. It's the best type of relaxation for me...I don't know why. I guess simply because I'm so worried of messing up something when I cook, that I am always 100% concentrated and not thinking of anything else that needs to get done(which I tend to usually do).

Reaction score
There is something unbelievably satisfying in being able to make your own bread. Besides, it just plain tastes great fresh out of the oven. You should always wait for it to cool before cutting into it so it doesn't deflate the bread and mess up the texture.

According to every book and expert.

I say you should always bake 2 loaves. One to slice after it cools, and one to dig into while it's still steaming and the butter immediately melts into it.

Ask a Question