Easter Cakes

Reaction score
This Easter I have several Easter cakes I am making. The first one I delivered yesterday. It’s a carrot cake with cheese cheese buttercream frosting.

34CEC201-980E-4B06-96CD-7BBCBD670269.jpeg

I have three more cakes that i will be making tomorrow and Saturday and will post more pictures then.

Reaction score
Gosh, you're always so productive! I'm planning on making a Simnel cake tomorrow, but other than that no plans for any other Easter baking. I have a real craving for carrot cake now though!! :D

Reaction score
This is cake number 2.
Lemon Poke cake with lemon curd filling, a thin layer of lemon frosting under the sprinkles and whipped cream frosting.
2A4DDA4E-476B-4BE2-BB79-D78EC9E366E9.jpeg

Reaction score
And the last two cakes are done!
BE27D164-40F9-4212-AAE2-10BC3BE165EE.jpeg

This is a strawberry jello poke cake with whipped cream and berries.

2AB62E85-A9D9-4921-B810-79408FFB9C3B.jpeg

This is a carrot cake with an almond milk cream cheese buttercream frosting. I ended up running out of frosting and couldn’t finish the border so I utilized the jelly beans I bought.

These cakes don’t look fancy but they will taste really good!

Happy Easter Everyone!!!!

Reaction score
And the last two cakes are done!
View attachment 2171
This is a strawberry jello poke cake with whipped cream and berries.

View attachment 2172
This is a carrot cake with an almond milk cream cheese buttercream frosting. I ended up running out of frosting and couldn’t finish the border so I utilized the jelly beans I bought.

These cakes don’t look fancy but they will taste really good!

Happy Easter Everyone!!!!

@Angie CupcakeQueen,
Taste is everything! There’s a lot of cake baker’s who make beautiful cakes that are horrible. They care nothing about the quality of the cake, its only about the aesthetics. A cake that no one likes is a failure, no matter how pretty. Your baking delicious cake—and making your family and friends happy with them. That’s successful baking. Keep up the good work
Angie:D

Reaction score
@Angie CupcakeQueen,
Taste is everything! There’s a lot of cake baker’s who make beautiful cakes that are horrible. They care nothing about the quality of the cake, its only about the aesthetics. A cake that no one likes is a failure, no matter how pretty. Your baking delicious cake—and making your family and friends happy with them. That’s successful baking. Keep up the good work
Angie:D

Thank you! The cakes were a complete success. Everyone loved them. A couple things I would change but otherwise really tasty.

Reaction score
@Becky, yummy. Really beautiful fruitcake. I never thought to make my own marzipan. I’ve only found one company that sells a decent marzipan. The stuff in the grocery stores is inedible. Given how terrible the vast majority of commercial stuff is in the US, homemade is definitely the solution.

Reaction score
Yes, I'd like to try this cake and make my own marzipan.

Becky, how did you get the colour, was it from orange juice and zest, or, how would I get yellow marzipan as per the Nigella recipe, with a food dye?

I'm guessing the marzipan recipe you followed made enough though, since Nigella's recipe says 1kg marzipan?

Reaction score
@Becky, yummy. Really beautiful fruitcake. I never thought to make my own marzipan. I’ve only found one company that sells a decent marzipan. The stuff in the grocery stores is inedible. Given how terrible the vast majority of commercial stuff is in the US, homemade is definitely the solution.

Thanks! Making marzipan is really easy, although I have found that it isn't as easy to work with as shop-bought stuff (it cracks easily at the edges when rolling it out). I much prefer the flavour though, especially with the orange zest!

Yes, I'd like to try this cake and make my own marzipan.

Becky, how did you get the colour, was it from orange juice and zest, or, how would I get yellow marzipan as per the Nigella recipe, with a food dye?

I'm guessing the marzipan recipe you followed made enough though, since Nigella's recipe says 1kg marzipan?

I didn't add any colouring, the colour just comes from the ground almonds and the orange zest (I didn't need the juice). Yep the marzipan recipe was enough for the cake, although I didn't make the balls. There would have been plenty to do the filling, the topping and the balls though - you'd just have to make the layers thinner. I went for no balls and thicker layers.

Reaction score
Great stuff. I don't have a springform tin so I guess I could use my square loose base tin.

By the way Becky, ground almonds aren't the cheapest ingredient to buy, and I've found myself going through quite a lot of it. But I bought a 500g bag from Sainsbury's which is only £4, so that's the place to buy from. I believe that's the cheapest price anywhere.

Reaction score
Thanks! Making marzipan is really easy, although I have found that it isn't as easy to work with as shop-bought stuff (it cracks easily at the edges when rolling it out). I much prefer the flavour though, especially with the orange zest!

I am thinking about making candy with it. One of my favorite chocolate shops makes a dark chocolate covered marzipan with a bit of honey...that combination of almonds, honey, and chocolate is so delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
By the way Becky, ground almonds aren't the cheapest ingredient to buy, and I've found myself going through quite a lot of it. But I bought a 500g bag from Sainsbury's which is only £4, so that's the place to buy from. I believe that's the cheapest price anywhere.

That's good to know, thanks! :)

I am thinking about making candy with it. One of my favorite chocolate shops makes a dark chocolate covered marzipan with a bit of honey...that combination of almonds, honey, and chocolate is so delicious.

Oh my goodness, that sounds wonderful!

Ask a Question