Easy Cinnamon Roll Recipe?

Reaction score
I have been DYING to make some cinnamon rolls, I love cinnabon and pilsbury cinnamon rolls but would really like to be able to make my own, as I would know exactly what I was putting into and could make the healthiest cinnamon rolls possible.

Here are some tips I'm looking at:

Icing: A lot of the recipes I see call for cream cheese in icings, which is decently fattening. Is there a way to make a "healthier" icing/topping while still keeping the thickness...for example, could cream replace the cheese for less calories/fat (or do they have roughly the same?)

Milk: I heard the milk has to be warm, why is that?

Nutmeg/Cinnamon: I have heard that adding nutmeg can either REALLY help or REALLY ruin a cinnamon rolls flavor, what do you think?

Looking forward to your answers :)

Reaction score
When I made cinnamon roles I used regular sour dough bread dough, and they were wonderful. I think just about any good bread dough should work for you. Just role and shape after the first rising and do the second rising on the cookie sheet.

I actually thing the cream cheese is very important. If you don't have enough fat or protein to balance the sugar, the effect on your blood sugar when you eat it will be far, far worse. No idea why milk had to be warm, I actually rarely iced my cinnamon roles to cut sugar, which I am more concerned about than fat.

I don't think nutmeg goes in cinnamon roles generally, but if you are also adding raisins it would be worth a shot.

Reaction score
You can always use low fat cream cheese, but I would stick to using the cream cheese frosting because it is much better than just a sugar based frosting. I do not like it when my sweet rolls have just a sugar frosting on them, like powder sugar glaze, because it is just too rich for me. At least the cream cheese does balance out the sugar like Dancinglady said. I usually make my cinnamon rolls from scratch, but you could use bread dough and get the same results.

Reaction score
Hi,
I cheat sometimes and start with Trader Joe's refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough. Yummy, and slightly healthy.:)

Reaction score
There a LOT posts on this topic with a ton of amazing recipes, I'd recommend you to hit the search button and look for them, OP. I tried to find mine for you, but for some reason I just couldn't find it :( I hope you have better luck than me!

Ask a Question