Egg-free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Icing

Reaction score
I have a friend who is vegan and another friend is allergic to eggs, so I play around with egg free baking sometimes. After looking for a good cupcake recipe, I came up with this. They came out really well - the sponge wasn't crumbly at all, and they were incredibly moist (the day after baking them they were still exactly the same, and probably would have lasted longer if we hadn't eaten them all!)

Vegan chocolate cupcakes (makes 12)

190g plain flour
200g caster sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
80g coconut oil (or 80ml veg oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
240ml water
A few spoonfuls of coconut cream
Icing sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Melt the coconut oil, add the other liquid ingredients to it and mix together, then add to the dry ingredients. Give it a good whisk until you’ve got a smooth batter and divide between 12 muffin cases. Bake for around 25 mins at 170C. I topped them with icing made with coconut cream.

You can't really taste the coconut flavour in the chocolate sponge, but the coconut icing goes very well with it.

Unfortunately I was in a rush and didn't get any photos of them :(

Reaction score
This sounds delicious. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm so used to using eggs that I never even think about recipes without eggs. Your recipe proves that eggs do not have to be used in every baked item. As long as the cupcakes taste good, it doesn't matter if it uses eggs or not.

Reaction score
I also can't eat eggs, I might consider this recipe one day, it looks very tasty. You can also use apple sauce as an egg substitute when baking cakes and cupcakes, the baked goods always turn out so moist with it. :) I've never considered coconut icing for any of my baked goods, brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Ask a Question