egg substitutes

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm new here. I'm looking for egg substitutes for cakes....any ideas? Thank you :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I sometimes do vegan recipes, and a good substitute for egg is ground flax seed. To make one 'flax egg', you just mix 1 tbsp. of ground flax seed with 2.5 tbsp. of water, and leave it to sit for 5 minutes. It gets all gloopy! Unsweetened apple sauce sometimes features in vegan recipes (often in addition to the flax egg) which I think adds the moistness to a bake that you would usually get from egg.

I use Minimalist Baker quite a lot, there are some good egg free recipes on there :)

Reaction score
I've also used chia seeds, much like @Becky mentioned above with the flax seeds! Same effect - the gloopiness makes it bind just like an egg would!

Reaction score
That is awesome, Becky!!! I had no idea ground flax seed could be used as an egg substitute! Completely amazing! I had noticed flax seeds tend to get a bit slippery if exposed to wet surfaces, but I never ever imagined they could take the place of an actual egg! This tip is invaluable.

Reaction score
Everyday as I do participate in the discussions in this site the more I learn something new when it comes to baking. I have no idea that flax seed can be used as an egg substitute and I am glad that today I learned another idea. Thanks @Becky for sharing!

Reaction score
You can substitute 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce. If all you have is sweetened applesauce, simply decrease the amount of sugar you use in the recipe, to compensate. Some people add 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the applesauce, while others use both, and also incorporate 2 tbsp of a liquid in with those. The liquid can be whatever you choose, such as some variety of milk, or diluted yogurt.

Reaction score
You can substitute 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce. If all you have is sweetened applesauce, simply decrease the amount of sugar you use in the recipe, to compensate. Some people add 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the applesauce, while others use both, and also incorporate 2 tbsp of a liquid in with those. The liquid can be whatever you choose, such as some variety of milk, or diluted yogurt.

You beat me to it Diane and you did better than I did as I was going to copy it here. I found this information while I did a quick search here at work. Add this link to the mix which also confirms Becky's sugggestion.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/955371/baking-without-eggs

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and the tips, girls :) I'm not what you call a good baker, but I have at times gotten on a roll. Some of my baking in the past turned out ok and some I hid and threw out in shame haha. Now a-days, I feel like wanting to become a decent baker, at least. So, I went in search for a baking site and found this one and decided to learn from the experts. I will try all the above egg substitutes. Thank you all so much for your ideas. :)

Reaction score
As with everything, practice makes perfect! We've all had bakes go wrong before, but there's always something to learn from it and that's how we improve :) Plus it's a tasty journey! :D

Reaction score
You beat me to it Diane and you did better than I did as I was going to copy it here. I found this information while I did a quick search here at work. Add this link to the mix which also confirms Becky's sugggestion.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/955371/baking-without-eggs

I happened to run out of eggs the other day, for probably the first time in my life, and had a baking craving at the same time. That's a great link you posted, I've saved that infographic for the future, because despite my best efforts, I could end up in the same situation again, and I'm sure the information and the site, also, will come in handy!

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and the tips, girls :) I'm not what you call a good baker, but I have at times gotten on a roll. Some of my baking in the past turned out ok and some I hid and threw out in shame haha. Now a-days, I feel like wanting to become a decent baker, at least. So, I went in search for a baking site and found this one and decided to learn from the experts. I will try all the above egg substitutes. Thank you all so much for your ideas. :)

Introduce yourself to a not so great baker but learning a lot as I go along. I have so many things on my 'to bake list' it's not funny. I've had some hits and misses since I came out of the 'box' in every sense of the word. Box cakes were my specialty, now I hardly ever use them. Slowly but surely I am getting there and so will you and you'll be on a roll over and over again.

Ask a Question