Vegan Egg Yolk Substitutes for Recipe Binding

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've got a challenge;

I'm developing a new (very exciting recipe) however I need a vegan substitute for egg yolks. Note that I do not need a substitute for white as the recipe I'm trying to vegan-ize only requires the yolks.

Keep in mind that the reason egg yolks are such good binders is
a) they have a lot of protein
b) they're smooth, so they don't mess up the consistency

So, in summary; I'm looking for a smooth, protein-packed recipe binder
Thanks,

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've got a challenge;

I'm developing a new (very exciting recipe) however I need a vegan substitute for egg yolks. Note that I do not need a substitute for white as the recipe I'm trying to vegan-ize only requires the yolks.

Keep in mind that the reason egg yolks are such good binders is
a) they have a lot of protein
b) they're smooth, so they don't mess up the consistency

So, in summary; I'm looking for a smooth, protein-packed recipe binder
Thanks,

Substitutions are not straight forward and not as simple as exchanging one protein for another. The reason the protein in egg binds is the heat causes denaturation of the protein molecule; they then bind with other molecules in their environment. But plant proteins do not necessarily behave in the same way when denatured.

Eggs are used in baking for a number of reasons and binding is only one of them. The yolk contains about 34% of the liquid and all the fat in the whole egg. So the yolk is important for adding moisture.

A substitution would depend on what you’re making; the amount and type of flour; type and amount of sugar. Sugar also contributes to moisture as it’s hygroscopic. So if your egg yolk substitution has a lot of water in it, like a fruit purée, and you do not adjust the sugar, whatever you’re making could end up dense and flat as a pancake.

Reaction score
I actually just watched a YouTube video about this yesterday! Hopefully it's useful, i haven't actually tested it yet but it looks legit. Here's the link!

Reaction score
I'm not sure that could be used as a substitute in baking, but they look interesting!

Ask a Question