Eggless Chocolate Cake... what am I looking for?

Reaction score
so, a very close person to me is allergic to eggs so he can't eat my cakes and he's moving abroad and i don't know when i'll see him next. so i want to make a chocolate cake for him. an eggless one obviously.

i've been looking through a lot of recipes and there are thousands to choose from! i wanted to know what exactly replaces the egg in the recipe. and what should i look for when choosing a good recipe?

thanks so much! i'm hoping to make the cake for this coming Friday. :))

Reaction score
Well, applesauce is the most popular substitute.

You can also use tofu.

Personally, I would use banana's or yogurt....but thats my preference.

This is a bakers recipe for egg replacement--

Egg Substitute Mix (homemade) --> To replace 1 egg:
2 tablespoon flour + 1/2 teaspoon oil + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + 2 tablespoons liquid (milk, cream, buttermilk, diluted yogurt, or dairy free alternatives like coconut milk, soy milk, etc) beaten together until smooth.

Well, I don't know what you mean by "good recipe". All recipes are good, it just depends on what you are expecting out of it, or want to do with it.

Reaction score
Well, applesauce is the most popular substitute.

You can also use tofu.

Personally, I would use banana's or yogurt....but thats my preference.

This is a bakers recipe for egg replacement--

Egg Substitute Mix (homemade) --> To replace 1 egg:
2 tablespoon flour + 1/2 teaspoon oil + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + 2 tablespoons liquid (milk, cream, buttermilk, diluted yogurt, or dairy free alternatives like coconut milk, soy milk, etc) beaten together until smooth.

Well, I don't know what you mean by "good recipe". All recipes are good, it just depends on what you are expecting out of it, or want to do with it.
wow okay. thanks! very helpful :D

This is my favourite egg-free cake recipe - which also happens to be gluten free.

http://thesethingsilove.com/2010/05/never-fail-chocolate-cakecupcakes/

When I have served it to people they thought it was just regular cake! :)
ooh thanks :D

Ask a Question