Eggs - cupboard or fridge

Reaction score
I've never even thought about not refrigerating my eggs. They're kept in the refrigerated section of the store, so I always stowed them away similarly at home! I can't imagine doing otherwise.

I'm sure most people who are able to will keep them refrigerated just in case, but when my mother lived in Germany 50 years ago and they didn't have a refrigerator, they kept their eggs outside on the windowsill! Apparently it was a common practice. You have to wonder how many fell, though...

Or how many were snagged by egg-loving animals for an easy snack.

Reaction score
I do believe they were on the second floor or higher, but I imagine people with first floor apartments probably didn't follow this practice for that exact reason.

Reaction score
I always put my eggs in the fridge; not sure why, but it's just something that my family have done so I do it too! It does make me curious when you see supermarkets with eggs out on the shelves rather than in the fridges.

Reaction score
I have always been curious about where to store my eggs and I thought the Baking Forums would be the perfect place to ask. The habit that I have when buying the eggs off the shelf at the supermarket is putting them straight into the fridge when I get home. What is the best method for storing eggs and please do tell me why as this is something that I have always wanted to know and have been worried that I might be storing them incorrectly.
I have always stored mine in the fridge in the carton they came in. I never left them out, I never knew you could, it just seemed to me that they would spoil really easily when left out.

Reaction score
I keep mine in a cool dry place. They tend to last along time and I've never had a bad egg. I did once keep them in the fridge but there were too many accidents! It was only ever me that cleared the mess up, so I now keep them in the new place!

Reaction score
The reason most people should store their eggs in the fridge is because they buy them from a grocery store. Disease is rampant in commercial flocks (and filth) because of this, they 'clean" the eggs. They are doused in chemicals and scrubbed down, taking their protective barrier with them and in turn, the egg is absorbing everything used to clean them AND is more susceptible to salmonella. Also, whatever bacteria etc is present on the egg can also be pushed into the egg during this process, making cold temperatures a must. Always best to buy them fresh from a farm, where the egg inside remains guarded and better able to stay at room temperature. It's not just egg you're getting at the store.

Reaction score
I store eggs in the refrigerator.

In rural areas, placing eggs in a cupboard might be okay because they are eaten within 24-hours.

Unless this is the case, I think it's best to store eggs in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
I have laying hens so I get my eggs fresh everyday, I put them in the fridge as they tend to last longer that way, however, my mother in law who also has laying hens keeps her eggs in a basket on her counter. I am not sure what the best answer is, but I feel like they keep their freshness longer in the fridge.

Reaction score
I would absolutely keep my eggs stored in the fridge. I would be constantly worried that they would go bad if they were left in a cupboard.

Reaction score
Okay, I wasn't even aware that storing eggs in the cupboard was an option. I would think that they would spoil very quickly. I go by the rule of thumb that if I purchase it from the refrigerated section at the store, then it goes in my refrigerator at home. I have never once purchased eggs anywhere but in the cold dairy section. The thought of them being anywhere else is a very weird concept to me.

Reaction score
I always keep my eggs in the refrigerator. I have never even heard of anyone not putting them in there, that is just a bad way for your eggs to go bad. Unless you have chickens making your fresh eggs everyone morning or something and you put them in a cupboard to use that night or something, but I would recommend not putting them in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
I have always stored my eggs in the refrigerator because they because they tend to have a longer shelf life.

Reaction score
My eggs are always in the fridge. Although several years ago we had a terrible tornado rip through North Alabama, and although I was spared any damage, I was without electricity for over a week, so no refridgeration. My eggs survived that time very well and I was able to use them when I made breakfast, ect on the grill outside.

Reaction score
...Why would you not keep them in the fridge? They'll last a good week or two longer, and you lessen the risk of them going off without you noticing.

Would you keep your milk out of the fridge?

Reaction score
Mine come from the supermarket shelf to mine. I use so many they don't have time to go off.

Reaction score
In the 1960's it was ok to store cases of eggs unrefrigerated.
then the health dept said it all had to be chilled.
what changed?

they started feeding chickens animal byproducts, chicken heads and feet were ground up and mixed in with the feed.
I think organic is safer, but I can't afford that, fortunately my neighbor is a farmer and I get eggs free.

Ask a Question