Eggs - cupboard of fridge

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by Fearchara, May 24, 2013.

1. Fearchara

polaroidsredwine Active Member

I've never even thought about not refrigerating my eggs. They're kept in the refrigerated section of the store, so I always stowed them away similarly at home! I can't imagine doing otherwise.

Or how many were snagged by egg-loving animals for an easy snack.

polaroidsredwine, Jun 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Fearchara

Soliloquy Well-Known Member

I do believe they were on the second floor or higher, but I imagine people with first floor apartments probably didn't follow this practice for that exact reason.

Soliloquy, Jun 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Fearchara

Mylexia91 Member

I always put my eggs in the fridge; not sure why, but it's just something that my family have done so I do it too! It does make me curious when you see supermarkets with eggs out on the shelves rather than in the fridges.

Mylexia91, Jun 24, 2013
  4. Fearchara

missybkt Member

I have always stored mine in the fridge in the carton they came in. I never left them out, I never knew you could, it just seemed to me that they would spoil really easily when left out.

missybkt, Jun 24, 2013
  5. Fearchara

passingcat Well-Known Member

I keep mine in a cool dry place. They tend to last along time and I've never had a bad egg. I did once keep them in the fridge but there were too many accidents! It was only ever me that cleared the mess up, so I now keep them in the new place!

passingcat, Jun 26, 2013
  6. Fearchara

Josie Well-Known Member

The reason most people should store their eggs in the fridge is because they buy them from a grocery store. Disease is rampant in commercial flocks (and filth) because of this, they 'clean" the eggs. They are doused in chemicals and scrubbed down, taking their protective barrier with them and in turn, the egg is absorbing everything used to clean them AND is more susceptible to salmonella. Also, whatever bacteria etc is present on the egg can also be pushed into the egg during this process, making cold temperatures a must. Always best to buy them fresh from a farm, where the egg inside remains guarded and better able to stay at room temperature. It's not just egg you're getting at the store.

Josie, Dec 20, 2013
  7. Fearchara

True2marie Well-Known Member

I store eggs in the refrigerator.

In rural areas, placing eggs in a cupboard might be okay because they are eaten within 24-hours.

Unless this is the case, I think it's best to store eggs in the refrigerator.

True2marie, Dec 20, 2013
  8. Fearchara

Lacey Well-Known Member

I have laying hens so I get my eggs fresh everyday, I put them in the fridge as they tend to last longer that way, however, my mother in law who also has laying hens keeps her eggs in a basket on her counter. I am not sure what the best answer is, but I feel like they keep their freshness longer in the fridge.

Lacey, Dec 26, 2013
  9. Fearchara

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I would absolutely keep my eggs stored in the fridge. I would be constantly worried that they would go bad if they were left in a cupboard.

Tina Nord, Jul 10, 2014
  10. Fearchara

dustysmommy2013 Well-Known Member

Okay, I wasn't even aware that storing eggs in the cupboard was an option. I would think that they would spoil very quickly. I go by the rule of thumb that if I purchase it from the refrigerated section at the store, then it goes in my refrigerator at home. I have never once purchased eggs anywhere but in the cold dairy section. The thought of them being anywhere else is a very weird concept to me.

dustysmommy2013, Jul 10, 2014
  11. Fearchara

Whitewolf2578 Active Member

I always keep my eggs in the refrigerator. I have never even heard of anyone not putting them in there, that is just a bad way for your eggs to go bad. Unless you have chickens making your fresh eggs everyone morning or something and you put them in a cupboard to use that night or something, but I would recommend not putting them in the refrigerator.

Whitewolf2578, Jul 17, 2014
  12. Fearchara

kammy Well-Known Member

I have always stored my eggs in the refrigerator because they because they tend to have a longer shelf life.

kammy, Aug 2, 2014
  13. Fearchara

evelynmcgregor Well-Known Member

My eggs are always in the fridge. Although several years ago we had a terrible tornado rip through North Alabama, and although I was spared any damage, I was without electricity for over a week, so no refridgeration. My eggs survived that time very well and I was able to use them when I made breakfast, ect on the grill outside.

evelynmcgregor, Aug 2, 2014
  14. Fearchara

Livvy Well-Known Member

...Why would you not keep them in the fridge? They'll last a good week or two longer, and you lessen the risk of them going off without you noticing.

Would you keep your milk out of the fridge?

Livvy, Aug 2, 2014
  15. Fearchara

Mrs Mosey Member

Mine come from the supermarket shelf to mine. I use so many they don't have time to go off.

Mrs Mosey, Sep 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question