Empanada recipe

Reaction score
I really love the caramel apple empanadas that Taco Bell sells and I can't find a recipe even close to them online...any recipes out there that you could share with me? Even if it is not caramel apple, I would love to try them!

Reaction score
I found the recipe that you're looking for!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 4 cups peeled & sliced tart apples
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 2 premade pie crusts
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Instructions
  1. Stir together sugar, cinnamon, and flour; set aside.
  2. Bring apples and water to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar flour mixture, caramel topping and butter.
  4. Unroll the pie crusts and roll out to be just a smidge thinner than it already is. Use a cereal bowl to trace and cut out a circle of the dough. You should be able to get 2 circles out of each pie crust.
  5. Spoon 1/4 of the apple mixture onto one half of each of the circles, leaving about 1/2 inch of the edges uncovered.
  6. Wet the edges of the pie crusts with a little water, and fold over the circle in half. Use a fork to press and seal the edges.
  7. Brush the egg whites over the top of each hand pie. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
  8. Place each empanada on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400º for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm!

Source: Caramel Empanada

Reaction score
These sound delicious , I bet they taste far better than those poor imitations that they sell at taco bell. I tried one and was ot impressed at all.

Reaction score
The recipe looks so delicious. I want to try it, but will have to make a few adjustments so I can eat it since i am diabetic. did you know that you can buy sugar free caramel ice cream topping? Smuckers makes it and it is so yummy. So this recipe is in my future!

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of anything apple so when I tried this at Taco Bell, I wasn't impressed. Maybe a home made one with slight self improvements might just taste better. More caramel then apples! Lol

Ask a Question