English Hard Cake

Reaction score
Hard cake, because......well.......it's hard.
For those who don't like soft cake.

Apparently this cake is best eaten with a cup of hot tea.

I've never had this, but it sounds good!

1. Preheat oven to 350°F; Combine well the flour, baking powder, salt and walnuts --.
  2. In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until completely combined; Add Egg Beaters to the creamed butter/sugar beating well; Add vanilla and stir to mix completely --.
  3. Add dry mixture to this 'wet' mixture, combining well --The resulting mixture should be crumb-like --.
  4. Shape the mixture into balls and arrange in a circle in a greased 9" cake pan (perhaps 6 balls, 5 around and one in the middle).
  5. By arranging them in this fashion, you'll get an effect similar to scoring you see in scone recipes except this is achieved 'naturally' by the arrangement of the balls --.
  6. At this time you can sprinkle it with the optional cinnamon sugar (trust me, it's better WITH the cinnamon sugar!).
  7. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for approximately 50 minute (your time may vary).
  8. This will be hard upon completion and dryish -- it isn't intended to be a moist 'tea' cake (so don't be alarmed).
  9. Serve warm or equally good at room temperature; don't forget to have it with strong hot tea (no herbals) for the FULL effect!
  10. Suggestions: substitute pecans for the walnuts.

There was no picture on the recipe page I found this, and I couldn't find a picture online for some reason, so maybe Becky has one?

Reaction score
I've never heard of this before! Sounds like an American thing - similar to how 'German' Chocolate cake is American ;)

Reaction score
I've never heard of this before! Sounds like an American thing - similar to how 'German' Chocolate cake is American ;)

Well, German Chocolate Cake is American. It was developed by a man named Samuel German.
Actually, he lived in America, but was born in Britain!

The cake recipe is not from Germany, it was named after the man who invented it.:eek::D

Reaction score
Well, German Chocolate Cake is American. It was developed by a man named Samuel German.
Actually, he lived in America, but was born in Britain!

The cake recipe is not from Germany, it was named after the man who invented it.:eek::D

Yeah I know - I was using it as an example of things with names that misrepresent their origin ;)

Reaction score
Yeah I know - I was using it as an example of things with names that misrepresent their origin ;)

Sorry...........yeah..........kind of "out of it" this week. Rough couple of weeks at work, not really able to focus on anything.
:(

I think this is someones version of Tyrolean Hard Cake. Which I've never heard of either, but it came up with the other "hard cake" searches I did, and the recipe seems to be a close match.

Ask a Question