Ensaymada - Sweet Bread with Cheese Topping

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

Having eaten one this morning inspired me to search for the recipe of this Filipino bread so I could share it here. I love bread and this is one of my favorite kind of bread that is also well loved here in my country.

So here's the link with some pictures on how to make Ensaymada, a sweet Filipino bread:

http://www.filipino-food-recipes.com/ensaymada.html

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

Having eaten one this morning inspired me to search for the recipe of this Filipino bread so I could share it here. I love bread and this is one of my favorite kind of bread that is also well loved here in my country.

So here's the link with some pictures on how to make Ensaymada, a sweet Filipino bread:

http://www.filipino-food-recipes.com/ensaymada.html

I've never had this before - but I love Filipino food! My neighbor is Filipino and always brings us lumpia and pancit whenever she makes it and has leftovers!!

Reaction score
We were in a gathering last night and one of the food on the table was ensaymada. I think it is a kind of bread originally from the Philippines. What I like in ensaymada is the grated cheese covering and the whitish sweet thing that is caramelize sugar. I have tasted an ensaymada with bits of ham inside and it's cool, so nice for a snack that is filling because of the meat. But usually that kind of bread is cheese flavored.

Reaction score
Ensaymada is one of my favorite bread which originates from the Philippines. I like this when there is white cream or butter that is spread on the bread with lots of grated cheese toppings together with purple yam or with salted eggs. Ohh.. I love this and I am missing eating this kind of bread :)

Reaction score
Well I have to say that this is something that sounds perfect for the summertime. We are getting a terrible heat wave right about now, so eating and cooking big meals is just not really what comes to mind when I think about eating, and it is more of these little tasty snacks to have on hand that get me through. For that, I have to say thank you for sharing this.

Reaction score
I'm really happy to read your replies regarding ensaymada guys! :)

@cupcakechef I'm really glad to hear that you have tasted and appreciated some of our native Filipino dishes. I'm sure you'll still get to taste our other native dishes soon because we do love to cook and share to our neighbors and friends. :)

@rz3300 Summertime for me is also a time for more food. Lol! I just noticed that I tend to eat more during summer, maybe because of the heat. Ensaymada can indeed be a good treat for the summer season, couple it with an icy cold drink of your choice and you'll surely feel full and satisfied. :)

Reaction score
I love that the recipe mentions America's Test Kitchen (I like their recipes) and also separates the ingredients out into ones typically on hand, and others that might not be as commonplace in the modern kitchen, such as yeast. I also like how it mentions the alternative way of proofing the yeast. Those flowery individual cups in the picture are so pretty. I'll have to keep my eyes open in case I run across something like that in my travels.

I still have some yeast here, and these look like a nice treat to make. I might have to look into trying this recipe once the weather cools off.

Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to appreciate it @Diane Lane. :) As with most breads out there, they're best eaten when they're still freshly baked and you couple them with your favorite drink be it hot or cold. I hope you would be able to enjoy it soon. Happy baking! :)

Ask a Question