Espresso Cream Pie

Reaction score
A very yummy sounding recipe courtesy of Martha that I'll be trying tonight ;). I'll let you all know how it goes!

INGREDIENTS

• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup coffee liqueur, preferably Kahlua
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
  • Chocolate-Wafer Crust
  • 1/3 cup dark-chocolate-covered espresso beans
  • 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
DIRECTIONS
  1. STEP 1
    Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk and 2 tablespoons espresso powder, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, about 7 minutes total (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil).
  2. STEP 2
    Whisk yolks in a medium bowl until combined. Pour in milk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking until completely incorporated. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, 1 to 2 minutes.
  3. STEP 3
    Remove from heat, and stir in coffee liqueur and vanilla. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until butter melts before adding next piece. Let custard cool in saucepan on a wire rack, whisking occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
  4. STEP 4
    Pour custard into chocolate-wafer crust. Press plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Refrigerate until custard filling is chilled and firm, at least 4 hours (or overnight).
  5. STEP 5
    With a flat side of a chef's knife, crush espresso beans, 1 at a time. Reserve 1 tablespoon larger espresso-bean pieces.
  6. STEP 6
    Whisk together cream, confectioners sugar, and remaining teaspoon espresso powder until stiff peaks form. Fold small espresso-bean pieces into whipped cream mixture, and decoratively spread over pie. Sprinkle with reserved espresso-bean pieces, and serve immediately.

Reaction score
Ohhhh! This sounds oh so good! Have you tried it yet? How'd it taste? Is it a strong coffee type tasting or is it a slight taste? I'm
Not a coffee drinker but I do eat some coffee type desserts. Odd, I know. Lol

Reaction score
This sounds so good and would love to try it, but my only concern would be where to get those dark chocolate covered coffee beans? For real! Other than that great recipe! It's great to get a pie recipe that doesn't involve cream cheese :D

Reaction score
Sweetkymom, I did try it and it was every bit as delicious as it sounds! I didn't find it overly strong but I do love my coffee, so I might not be the best person to determine adequate strength for everyone else ;). I know people who are like that, maybe odd but you're not the only one ;).

Trellum, it is SO good! And I agree on the cream cheese front, ugh. lol. As for the chocolate covered espresso beans, I usually get mine from Trader Joe's out of habit but you could also get them from Amazon or Walmart or Target. Plenty of places have them, actually =).

Reaction score
A very yummy sounding recipe courtesy of Martha that I'll be trying tonight ;). I'll let you all know how it goes!

INGREDIENTS

• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup coffee liqueur, preferably Kahlua
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
  • Chocolate-Wafer Crust
  • 1/3 cup dark-chocolate-covered espresso beans
  • 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
DIRECTIONS
  1. STEP 1
    Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk and 2 tablespoons espresso powder, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, about 7 minutes total (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil).
  2. STEP 2
    Whisk yolks in a medium bowl until combined. Pour in milk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking until completely incorporated. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, 1 to 2 minutes.
  3. STEP 3
    Remove from heat, and stir in coffee liqueur and vanilla. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until butter melts before adding next piece. Let custard cool in saucepan on a wire rack, whisking occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
  4. STEP 4
    Pour custard into chocolate-wafer crust. Press plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Refrigerate until custard filling is chilled and firm, at least 4 hours (or overnight).
  5. STEP 5
    With a flat side of a chef's knife, crush espresso beans, 1 at a time. Reserve 1 tablespoon larger espresso-bean pieces.
  6. STEP 6
    Whisk together cream, confectioners sugar, and remaining teaspoon espresso powder until stiff peaks form. Fold small espresso-bean pieces into whipped cream mixture, and decoratively spread over pie. Sprinkle with reserved espresso-bean pieces, and serve immediately.
I swear between this recipe and the 10 others I just jotted down, I'm going to have to start watching my weight. :) :) :) You all post the best recipes! My husband just came down from work and saw this and said he's in heaven!! Just made my grocery list and headed to the store later tonight. Making this over the weekend!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I swear between this recipe and the 10 others I just jotted down, I'm going to have to start watching my weight. :) :) :) You all post the best recipes! My husband just came down from work and saw this and said he's in heaven!! Just made my grocery list and headed to the store later tonight. Making this over the weekend!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Danyel :)

Danyel, you and me both! And then it inspires me to look around for even more and the cycle continues...thank goodness there are places like Pinterest where you have glutenous recipes and workout routines side by side to help with this kind of thing ;). Hehe, glad I could help you make the husband a happy guy, mine was super happy with this recipe, too :).

Ask a Question